advice on motherboard upgrade please

darbz1987

hi im looking to upgrade my motherboard its a Foxconn 945G7MA-8KS2H socket 775 but it can only take a pentium d or pentium 4 extreme edition or celeron im looking two upgrade my motherboard to somthing that will take pentium d minimum but mainly core 2 duo n either core 2 quad can i use any outher socket 775 dat has theses specs and just install it on my conputer aslong as its intel 775?im looking for somthing that will also take ddr2 667mhz so that i dont need to buy all new ram

thanks

daisymtc

I suggest you get AMD instead. The main reason is intel stop developing LGA775 as LGA1156 is out. However you can use AM3 CPU in AM2+ socket. By the way, what is your budget?

darbz1987

I suggest you get AMD instead. The main reason is intel stop developing LGA775 as LGA1156 is out. However you can use AM3 CPU in AM2+ socket. By the way, what is your budget?

hi mate my budget is £100 max i only need the motherboard and cpu i have all the rest i dont need anything spectacular just somthing mainy so i can upgrade to core 2 duo or quad but just a mothrboad that will take my pentium d and core 2 duo quad etc antill i cann afford another cpu

Last edited:

darbz1987

Drenlin

Yeah, it will.They use the same form factor. It's rare to find a motherboard that isn't ATX compatible, unless you've got an OEM computer(Dell, Gateway, etc..) that uses BTX. 99.9% of custom computers are ATX or micro ATX. (Micro ATX is just like ATX but with 4 expansion slots instead of 7. Micro ATX boards will still fit in full-sized ATX cases)

Last edited:

darbz1987

Yeah, it will.They use the same form factor. It's rare to find a motherboard that isn't ATX compatible, unless you've got an OEM computer(Dell, Gateway, etc..) that uses BTX. 99.9% of custom computers are ATX or micro ATX. (Micro ATX is just like ATX but with 4 expansion slots instead of 7. Micro ATX boards will still fit in full-sized ATX cases)

hi mate yh my board is micro atx! so will all i have two do is install the board prosessor etc an ready two go i not that good with conputer building hence the questions

Last edited:

darbz1987

thanks

Drenlin

No problem :)

Putting it together is pretty simple. You just screw your motherboard in(make sure all standoffs are in place), put the CPU in the socket, apply the thermal paste, and put the heat sink on.

The hardest part is the thermal paste, but in your case it probably won't be necessary because the heat sink that comes with the CPU already has thermal paste applied to it.

Last edited: