Advice on my first build

GriZzlyLlaMa

Okay i am building a computer for the first time, i want to use it for, gaming, recording, streaming and other general things. I've researched a lot and im just not sure if what ive picked is good, so if you could give me any suggestions, tips, advice or anything else i would be extremely thankful! :) Also ive got £1000 to spend an that includes everything, the monitor, keyboard mouse etc...
The parts I have chosen so far are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad Core
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200PM
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 4GB (R9270X-DC2T-4GD5)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 450W ATX12V / EPS12V ( 80+ Gold)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray/DVD/CD writer
Monitor: Asus VN248H 23.8 inch IPS Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
Mouse mat: Razer Vespula Gaming Mouse Mat

ive been using this site to look at parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/GriZzlyLlaMa/saved/wZLwrH
thought id put it there incase it helps!

Thank you for any help you can give me! :) :)

AnonNone

Okay i am building a computer for the first time, i want to use it for, gaming, recording, streaming and other general things. I've researched a lot and im just not sure if what ive picked is good, so if you could give me any suggestions, tips, advice or anything else i would be extremely thankful! :) Also ive got £1000 to spend an that includes everything, the monitor, keyboard mouse etc...
The parts I have chosen so far are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad Core
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200PM
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 4GB (R9270X-DC2T-4GD5)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 450W ATX12V / EPS12V ( 80+ Gold)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray/DVD/CD writer
Monitor: Asus VN248H 23.8 inch IPS Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
Mouse mat: Razer Vespula Gaming Mouse Mat

ive been using this site to look at parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/GriZzlyLlaMa/saved/wZLwrH
thought id put it there incase it helps!

Thank you for any help you can give me! :) :)

The only thing I recommend is a better PSU, future-proofing and I think that's a little weak for your build.

This.

If you can afford it, or rather you WANT to afford it.

Otherwise something like:

This.

This.

This.

Or this. (cheapest)

GriZzlyLlaMa

They do seem really expensive, i should be able to afford the cheapest one or the second to last one at a push, but definitely not the rest... Also if i do get one with more power, is it going to waste power as in, if it uses say 500 will the rest of the power go to waste? sorry if that makes no sense?

AnonNone

They do seem really expensive, i should be able to afford the cheapest one or the second to last one at a push, but definitely not the rest... Also if i do get one with more power, is it going to waste power as in, if it uses say 500 will the rest of the power go to waste? sorry if that makes no sense?

Just think about what you are going to want to upgrade to in the future and buy accordingly, the second to last should be good for just about any build less a supercomputer I think even the cheapest one should get you by just fine so unless you think you are really going to beef up your computer buy the cheapest one.

Concerning the power waste, no, your power supply uses only what your computer uses so the only waste is whatever the efficiency comes out to.

GriZzlyLlaMa

okay, thank you very much for the advice, i shall get the last one definitely. but apart from the power supply, is everything else okay or are there better options? :)

AnonNone

okay, thank you very much for the advice, i shall get the last one definitely. but apart from the power supply, is everything else okay or are there better options? :)

I'll let other members discuss that if they come, everything looks good to me though, only critique is no Nvidia card, but I'm biased.

GriZzlyLlaMa

Thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated, and yeah I am gunna get either the amd r9 270X 4GB or the nvidia gtx 760 2GB, but I like amd but people are always saying go for nvidia, so I'm not really sure! :D

AnonNone

Thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated, and yeah I am gunna get either the amd r9 270X 4GB or the nvidia gtx 760 2GB, but I like amd but people are always saying go for nvidia, so I'm not really sure! :D

Even though members here might say otherwise I always recommend Intel with Nvidia and ATI/AMD with AMD.

StrangleHold

Staff member
With the video, it makes no difference if your using a AMD or Intel proocessor. Which ever video card you want will be fine. The power supplies in AnonNone links are way overkill. A 650W would give you some overhead. Just pick one in that wattage from Antec/PC Power&Cooling/Corsair/Seasonic/XFX/EVGA and you will be fine.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
With the video, it makes no difference if your using a AMD or Intel proocessor. Which ever video card you want will be fine. The power supplies in AnonNone links are way overkill. A 650W would give you some overhead. Just pick one in that wattage from Antec/PC Power&Cooling/Corsair/Seasonic/XFX/EVGA and you will be fine.

I was gonna say if someone else didn't mention it I was gonna say those PSU's are all wayyyy overkill. He only needs 650W max right now unless he runs multiple GPU's down the road (which he can then upgrade the PSU).

StrangleHold

Staff member
I was gonna say if someone else didn't mention it I was gonna say those PSU's are all wayyyy overkill. He only needs 650W max right now unless he runs multiple GPU's down the road (which he can then upgrade the PSU).

Yeah, he could probably get by with a quality 500W. But a 650w is a better fit. Especially if he wants to upgrade his card later.

Okedokey

You haven't included Windows, that's another ~100

Doesn't leave much for monitor etc.

I would get the CX600 Corsair PSU which is only $50 and is HEAPS of power and quality for that system, forget the 4670K and get the G3258. Its half the price ($79), and over-clocks well. It also games almost the same as a 4690 according to LinusTechTips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXpqpNhu_Y

So far that will save you around $100 to spend on Windows, or get a more powerful GPU or other gear like monitors etc.

Last edited:

GriZzlyLlaMa

Okay I have taken a look at the processor and I'm still not bought, I do not want to overclocked, at least not yet, I might want to later on, but at the moment I want to keep it simple! As for the power supply, the one that's already there is 80+ gold! and if it saves more money than the bronze I will happily get it? Also if anyone has any tips on building the computer or any suggestions on a better monitor I will be very thankful! :)

Also I've got two extra questions is Ebuyer a good website to buy from and how much better does the memory on the graphics affect it?

Last edited:

Okedokey

Okay I have taken a look at the processor and I'm still not bought, I do not want to overclocked, at least not yet, I might want to later on, but at the moment I want to keep it simple! As for the power supply, the one that's already there is 80+ gold! and if it saves more money than the bronze I will happily get it? Also if anyone has any tips on building the computer or any suggestions on a better monitor I will be very thankful! :)

Also I've got two extra questions is Ebuyer a good website to buy from and how much better does the memory on the graphics affect it?

You will never, ever make back the money on the premium for gold PSU over that of a bronze.

GriZzlyLlaMa

So your saying that I might aswell go for bronze? And gold with not save me anymore money? Also what about my other questions?

Okedokey

Yes, only get gold if you're planning on running it 24/7 maxed out with a very very high tariff. 95% of the time you'll never see any benefit.

The monitor is fine, building a computer can be found anywhere on the internet, and i have never had any experience with Ebuyer.