Advice on parts swaping

sancho907

Hello,

I'm a computer novice so here goes

I just purchased a computer bundle linked here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...c=us&objectID=c01852859&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

it came with AMD Sempron LE-1200 single core processor which i'm finding does not fit my needs.

It came with a Narr5 GL6 motherboard linked here
and 250W power supply

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...70&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3970030&lang=en

My questions

1. can i just drop in any of the processors listed as supported by the motherboard's AM2+ socket and expect it to operate?

2. if processors are not a plug and play item what (for my own understanding) do i need to look at for compatibility and performance

3. Can you suggest what processors would would be a cost effective swap short of purchasing a new motherboard

I am a novice and have been doing a little research but really do not have an understanding of how computers are built.

ooh... almost forgot bought the computer due to low black Friday pricing but the application that i'm currently having problems with is playing Dragon Age Origins

Can i upgrade to a 2-3-4 core with my current setup? i'm not looking for top notch gaming but as of current the game lags and task manager shows my current processor running at 100% at all times when gaming

Thank you for your time and any help

David

sancho907

I Just tried calling the HP people (1-800-474-6836) and they will not (with attitude!) provide any technical advice on compatibility without the specific units serial #

Simply put i'm at work and the computer (serial#) is at home, a cabin without running water (going for sympathy here), no possibility of internet connection (did i mention i live in rural Alaska) it will be three weeks till i'm go home (2 weeks off) visit my computer get the serial # then return to town and have access to the phone/internet again. i would like to purchase any upgrades in the next few days otherwise it will be ~5 weeks till i cause them (2weeks off + 2 weeks on + travel time)

I'm not looking for any legally binding advice.

Can someone please provide another possible method to obtain information on performance and compatibility.

it looks as if changing my processor out is physically possible. so my new questions

1. What if any performance gains would be possible from just swapping the processor to a Athlon X2, X3, X4; Phenom triple or quad-core? would the system just adopt the new properties of the processor?

2. What would be the limiting factor i.e. don't buy a processor above this level (fill in the blank) because (fill in the blank) is a bottleneck and will limit any further performance gains.

My limited understanding has me looking for an advice/answer like, a Phenom II quad-core 5.2ghs would be a waste of money because your mother board will allow only 1.2ghs (both are made up #'s) and your system will never operate above (fill in the blank level) or go ahead drop it in cause your processor speed will be the (theoretical) speed your computer now operates at

My 250W power supply might not be enough (thank you for the advice BuddyLee81)
3.What would be a reasonable power supply rating 500W 750W a 350 Chevy motor?

4. Will running my CPU at 100% during game play have any adverse effects on my computer. Looking for something like don't do it because you burn up (fill in the blank) or go ahead they are designing to run at 100% for three years strait

again any advice is greatly appreciated

David

Looking for as much as much information as i can get in the next few days i'd like to be able to make a informed decision on possibly purchasing upgrades before i head out to the bush (home)