Advice on Purchased Computer

surplusbc

Hey everybody,

I'm just looking for a little advice here. In January, I purchased a computer for 500 dollars.
The specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP2200+ , 1.8 GHz
256MB PC2700 DDR
52x CDRw
80GB Hard Drive
64MB AGP Video
10/100 NIC / Sound / 56k
Floppy / Keybd / Optical Mouse / Spk
WinXP Pro and Norton Antivirus
1 Year Parts & Labor

So, there were a lot of issues I won't get into, but, the only crucial information for this post is that I did not get an AMD Athlon XP2200+ , 1.8 GHz processor. Instead, I rec'd AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz (which, inside it says it's a 2200+, so maybe it's a AMD Duron XP2200+, 1.2 GHz processor). I also rec'd 80 GB because 60 GM was not available the time.
The has passed for returns and because I paid via paypal(the owner claimed his credit card machine was down), getting a refund through my credit card company is near impossible because 1) I have no proof of an attempted return and 2) the credit card company would investigate paypal, not the store I bought it from.

So, my only real concern is 1) I don't want to lose money on this investment 2) when I click on the icons, there is a delay in how long it takes for the application to start up.

I talked with the owner and he still claims to not have AMD Athlon 1.8. He claims he's losing money on this and I basically bought the system at cost. He has offered to give me an additional 256 MB in memory to forget about the 1.8Ghz. He also said he could make the 1.2 faster by overclocking it. On a side note, he mentioned a Sempron processor.

Now, my questions:

Will the additional 256 MB, in conjunction with my Duron 1.2, resolve my issue of the delay between the double clicking of an icon and when the program starts?
What's the price difference between Duron 1.2 and 512MB Memory vs Athlon 1.8 and 256MB Memory? I bought Athlon 1.8 and 256MB Memory for 500 bucks. If I could've bought Duron 1.2 and 512MB Memory for the same price, I'll be fine with the change. But if it would've been 20 or 40 bucks cheaper, I need more compensation.
Is overclocking the 1.2 bad? I've heard Athlons are better than Duron's, so I don't know if it's one of those solutions that is intended to shut me up, but in a year, the computer is fried and he has no liability.
Finally, how's Sempron, is that better than Duron? Would it be better to tell him give me a 1.8 Sempron, and forget about the memory upgrade?

Your advice is much needed and much appreciated.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
ok first of all a 1.2ghz duron not worth that much. They not even sold any more. let say it worth $30. a athlon xp 2200+ are pretty old also. sempron are still currently being supported by amd. If I was you and could get a sempron from the deal I would proberly do that.

Ram anouther issue. You would proberly get a performance boost from moving from 256 ram to 512 ram. A 256 ram chip pc2700 cost like $25 only.

I would definally try to get a sempron chip if you can because that would be worth more then the xp 2200 you was orginally planing on getting and performs better.

To the delays it hard to tell what causing that exactly. It could be cpu or ram.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Socket A Semprons aren't supported any more either but it's better than the Duron you have now.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
Socket A Semprons aren't supported any more either but it's better than the Duron you have now.

really I did not know amd stop supporting them. I guess that mean socket A is dead.

surplusbc

Okay, so I'm still arguing with the credit card company, but I've also been talking with the owner. He has offered to double my memory for free, so it'll be 512MB. Or, for $40, he will swap out the AMD Athlon 1.2 for a AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.8 GHz. So, I guess the question is, for 540 bucks, is it an okay deal for the following:

AMD Sempron XP2400+ , 1.8 GHz
256MB PC2700 DDR
52x CDRw
80GB Hard Drive
64MB AGP Video
10/100 NIC / Sound / 56k
Floppy / Keybd / Optical Mouse / Spk
WinXP Pro and Norton Antivirus
1 Year Parts & Labor

Rebel PC Guru

your best bet is eBay it or trade it in & start over...........There is a small computer store in town here........only place I trust. Always deal with a reputable company........ :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Instead, I rec'd AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz (which, inside it says it's a 2200+, so maybe it's a AMD Duron XP2200+, 1.2 GHz processor
Check that the FSB isnt running at the wrong value (its supposed to be 166)

I guess that mean socket A is dead.
SocketA has been dead for some time :p

He has offered to double my memory for free, so it'll be 512MB. Or, for $40, he will swap out the AMD Athlon 1.2 for a AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.8 GHz. So, I guess the question is, for 540 bucks, is it an okay deal for the following:
1. Sue his ass
2. The proc upgrade is prolly the better choice (cuz you can always buy ram yerself and ram is cheap)

Quit being a cheap bastard
Congratulations.