Advice on selling computer

Auggie001

I don't think this is off topic since I would like to sell my computer for the biggest bang. In 2013 I bought the parts and built my computer. Last year, the motherboard failed and I got a warrantied replacement. In the meantime, I set up my laptop with dual monitors and have been using it every since. Now that I like using my laptop as the main computer, I want to sell my computer.

I have not rebuilt my computer yet so it is in pieces. Would it sell better pieced out, as a kit to be built, or should I rebuild the computer and sell it whole? It has all the components including case, video card, and power supply.

Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Depends on what components you own. If they're low-end, you're better off selling it as a whole. If it's higher spec items, you're better off selling it piece by piece.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You're best off pairing the mobo + CPU together as a combo and selling the RAM and HDD on their own.

Auggie001

Thank you for your quick response. Where is the best place to sell? Ebay, Craigslist, local paper, on this website?

Thanks again.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Ebay sucks, but you're more likely to find a buyer both there and on Craigslist.

I don't think people really put anything for sale in the newspaper much anymore.

You need 100 posts to sell on this forum, so here is not an option.

Agent Smith

I would use eBay myself, mostly since I've been a member for many years. But eBay rewards the buyer more than the seller and now PayPal (Not my Pal!) offers an asinine 180 day warranty whether you like it or not. And since eBay favors the buyer more times than not, if the buyer says the piece of equipment doesn't work after say 2 months of use, you are obligated for a refund to the buyer. You really have to go into your eBay settings and set things up to not allow low feedback scores, etc from bidding/buying. Then take very good detailed high res photos and describe your item VERY well. Always ship with insurance and I would use delivery confirmation. And never ship to an address that isn't listed in their PayPal.

On the other hand. Craigslist can be a risky mother too. It's best to trade at a store parking lot. Somewhere very public. People have been both raped, mugged and shot at all from Craigslist Ads. If you live in a big city I wouldn't even use Craigslist. Too many nuts. Risk eBay or a forum that you can trade in. Also, get heat. I can't find the damn link now for heat. Someone want to post that?

Last edited:

mistersprinkles

Where are you located? There are sites that are specific to this kind of thing that you can sniff out in your area. Here in my area we have Kijiji and red flag deals that are both great for quick sale of this kind of thing. I'm selling my old videocard right now.
If you are in Canada check out Kijiji and redflag deals.

To answer your low/high end Q's, your board is low end and your CPU is mid-range. These parts are circa 2012 though so they're not current.

mistersprinkles

Heat is basically an online trading rating system. You sell Steve a CPU, steve gives you a positive rating on heat. You sell Bob a motherboard that doesn't work, he gives you a negative rating. You can show people your HEAT score to prove to them that you are a trustworthy person to deal with selling used equipment etc. That's the long and short of it :).