Advice re: thin client specs for kitchen computer

I would like to access online recipes and entertainment from my kitchen and thought a thin client would be a cost-effective way to use the free LCD monitor I got from work. I will use the thin client to access a session on my Windows 7 computer in another room. Can someone advise re: the specs needed? Is this overkill? I wonder what the experience would be like on an older thin client, given that my desktop PC should be doing all the hard work anyway?

FuryRosewood

entertainment = what? play movies off it or stream music, because i dont think that would play back video well, but sound probably ok. id go with something a tiny bit beefier

entertainment = what? play movies off it or stream music, because i dont think that would play back video well, but sound probably ok. id go with something a tiny bit beefier

Are you sure? The thin client only needs to display what it gets from my Desktop PC. It's my desktop which should be doing the work?

FuryRosewood

it needs some acceleration, ive tried playing back video from my desktop over wifi using RDC at one point, and the framerate i was getting back was abismal, id suggest something low end with a nvidia gpu, and run splashtop remote desktop, it offers some nice gpu acceleration due to the cuda support integrated to the client.

http://www.splashtop.com/remote

and byte, sorry to say unless you can give meaningful feedback, butt out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173034

-somewhat capable system, much better than nvidia ion graphics, should handle gpu acceleration of most tasks fine, without any complaints.

Last edited:

Russ88765

I wouldn't buy a used computer off ebay that's only been tested for 12 hours, no(too many bad parts of that idea). If you just want to store recipes and watch an occasional movie or two in the kitchen, say during cooking - I don't think you need an entire computer for that. You can do the same thing from an iphone or a galaxy. If deadset on a computer though, i'd look towards getting a laptop to save kitchen space but still retain all the functionality you're looking for.

FuryRosewood

Reading, he has a monitor, just needs a book sized system, laptop would work but why go with such? you can get that zotac system and install seven on it and even forgoe the whole streaming setup and run locally