Advise me!

Looking at a new setup, and though i know how to operate computers well I have never really bothered to learn the difference in components etc.

Basically and relatively cheap gaming computer that will hopefully last a couple years.

Processor - AMD Phenom ii x4 965
Ram - Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB)
Video Card- HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB (X2) (I want to crossfire these things)
Mother Board - Dont really know. was looking at the MSI 790FX- GD70
PSU - Also dont really know. looking at Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w or the Corsair CMPSU 750w. Bother are crossfire certified.

Does this seem like a reasonable setup?
 
Here are some PSUs to pick from:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341023
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189011
Alot of people will probably say that Xclio PSUs are asking for it or that they suck but I saw some compelling arguments recently so while I have no personal experience with them I thought that I would throw one in there.
They are all pretty damn good deals and most have free shipping.
I agree about what was said above about staying away from Xfire on those cards. If you really want to Xfire somehting (cause it is pretty cool) then go ahead but it really is not going to be worth it due to the newer cards in the same price range with better options. You are going to spend more than $300.00 to pull it off anyway so why not go with the cheaper option and get something better.
Like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857 I would get this one cause i'm a saffire sac rider.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121361
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150442
And this one I just could not help but throw in. These cards are nice and will save some coin at the sacrifice of options like DX11. But this is essentially your Xfire setup on one card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102809
Anyhow good luck to you and sorry for the long post. Oh yeah I suck at picking mobos so i'll let soemone else help you there.

Edit: Here are some mobos:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366
Or if you want something more high end:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131392

Again I am not very good at the mobo stuff with AMD (I have an intel rig) but those are some options.
 
Last edited:
thanks for the in responses!

so the 5850 would be better individually than those two xfired...
very good point then. that allows me to explore other psu etc that dont need to support xfired! glad i posted here. do think i should invest in more ram or is 4gb enough for the foreseeable future?

ill give an update after a bit more research then.
 
Last edited:
What OS are you going to run? I say 4gb is plenty. Then again, I am a "one upper" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJclp0CjUE )and even though I will never use it I have 12gb of ram. Also I want you to know that I feel like an idiot and could have saved over $160.00 USD if I wasnt one. If you are gaming 4gb is plenty. Video editing and rendering of high quality ish is going to take 8gb if you are really serious.

One bechmark says:
5850 = 43.68 AVG in Crysis. Maxed. 1920x1080
4870 = 18 AVG in Crysis. Maxed. 1920x1080
4870 Xfire = 28 AVG in Crysis. Maxed. 1920x1080

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top