Affordable Gaming computer build

gdupm6

Hey guys, im new to this forum so id like to introduce myself. I see that alot of you are very knowledgeable about computer hardware and software and builds, so i was looking for some advice. I have basic knowledge about computer hardware and software, but and im learning as i read and research.

The computer i have now is pretty outdated its a dell dimension 4600. Yeah i know...

I recently bought battlefield 2 and tried running it and it was very slow and choppy. Its really not worth spending any more money on this computer so i want to invest in a new gaming rig.

My budget is around $500-$800 and I need your guys advice and opinion as to what parts to invest in to make the best possible build for my budget. All thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Btw im in sherman oaks, CA if that helps. Anyone from out here that can maybe recommend something?

awildgoose

Well I live in Australia, so I can't help with where to buy or prices, but I can give you a good rig.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P

Processor: Intel Q6600

Hard Drive: Any 320G

Graphics Card: ASUS 9800GT

Case: Thermaltake Armour

Power Supply: I'm not great with PS, but any 500+ SATA

I'm pretty sure that is everything, someone will probably correct me but.

2048Megabytes

I say you pay someone who is trustworthy and has experience on this site to build a computer for you. Imsati and Stranglehold are members who have knowledge and experience at building good systems.

Irishwhistle

I'd recommend buying your parts from Newegg.com, and if you have a good knowledge of the parts that go into a computer why not build yourself? If you don't have said knowledge learn it... you can learn pretty fast with the help of these forums. :)

gdupm6

I say you pay someone who is trustworthy and has experience on this site to build a computer for you. Imsati and Stranglehold are members who have knowledge and experience at building good systems.

I would pay someone to build one for me around her, but I cant seem to find any shops around my area that are reputable.

Have Imsati and strangehold built computers for any of the forum members here? How can I get in touch with them?

Also, what do you guys think of this setup?

Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 - $164
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Gigabyte GA-EP35 - $84.99
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Corsair 4 GB - $54.99 (Need Vista to recognize the 4 GIGS, XP only see 3 if memory serves correct)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Corsiar CMPSU 450W - $69.99
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

HD 4850 - $159.99
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Last edited:

N3crosis

I would pay someone to build one for me around her, but I cant seem to find any shops around my area that are reputable.

Have Imsati and strangehold built computers for any of the forum members here? How can I get in touch with them?

Also, what do you guys think of this setup?

Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 - $164
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Gigabyte GA-EP35 - $84.99
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Corsair 4 GB - $54.99 (Need Vista to recognize the 4 GIGS, XP only see 3 if memory serves correct)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Corsiar CMPSU 450W - $69.99
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

HD 4850 - $159.99
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

You still need a case, a hard drive, a CD/DVD Drive, and an operating system.

gdupm6

Windows Vista 64 Bit

Thermaltake armor case

What would you guys recommend for hard drive and CD/DVD drive that would flow well with this setup?

ScOuT

VIP Member
A Thermaltake Armour is almost $200 with shipping...you can get a really nice case for less than half that price. On a tight budget you will need to put your money in other places besides a case. Here is a budget build I am doing for my wife's cousin. His budget is a little more than yours but....most have mail in rebates and free shipping. Another thing to do is look at combo deals and discounted items when choosing parts for a build.

Coolermaster 590 for $50 and free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro 650W for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171023

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 for $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz for $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) for $19 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220269

gdupm6

Definitely Scooter.. Thank you for the help.

Now with the setup that I have, will it be good enough to run some of the top end games?

DarkTears

banned
If i build a pc myself without ever doing it before. Whats the chance that i can severely fck something up to the point where i might have to buy new parts?

Thats the thing im worried most about. Saving the money for this pc was no easy task lol.

just a noob

its pretty hard to actully screw up, you either have to force something in the wrong way, or kill it with static, both hard to do when you know what you are doing

2048Megabytes

Have Imsati and Strangehold built computers for any of the forum members here? How can I get in touch with them?

Imsati and Stranglehold have built many computers and have a lot of knowledge. If you want to get in touch with either of them scroll to the top of this page. Click on the "Search" link. Type in one of their names in the search. This will take you to subjects where these members have posted. Find one of their posts and click on their name. There should be an option to send them a personal message.

If you want me to I can send either of them a personal message to get in contact with you.

gdupm6

That would be great actually! I did exactly what you said by searching and then clicking their name to send a personal message, but for some reason I couldn't find the tab to click and message them. Thank you.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Aww shucks, I'm blushing:)

First off, welcome to CF! Secondly, yeah, you need 100 Posts to be able to PM other members; 2048 relayed the message though.

Building a system is fairly straight-forward, and as mentioned before, hard to intentionally physically screw up (this part ONLY fits here, that part ONLY fits there). However, it's always recommended that you have a basic-to-decent understanding of general PC knowledge just in case something goes wrong with either the hardware or software end of it. From what I've seen (and please don't take this as fact) setting up BIOS, Drive formatting and OS Install are the areas people often get stuck on.

So I understand you want to play games, but what else is important to you? Will you ever keep irreplaceable personal files on the system or is that not a concern? Do you want something that looks sleek and professional, or something screams 'Look at me! I'm a badass computer! Give me your attention!'? Do you want something near-silent or does a fan hum sooth you (it sure does for me!)?

Biggest, newest, fastest, most expensive, highest-rated, etc. do not always = best. Custom systems are just that - customized to the user. Someone who does data entry and does so on a full-fledged gaming system is going to be saying "this is waaaaay too much system for anyone", just as a hard-core gamer using a server designed for small-business applications is saying "this is lame - it's completely useless". Both systems are incredibly capable, just for totally different situations.

(Need Vista to recognize the 4 GIGS, XP only see 3 if memory serves correct)

Different answer from different people. It's not so much XP vs. Vista as it is 32-bit vs. 64-bit. XP itself will utilize 4 Gigs, but on a system equipped as such, it will only tell the end-user that +/- 3 is available; the rest is being used by the system itself. So it will see 4, you will see roughly 3; it's all there though.