After market cpu heatsink for Phenom II X4 940

omglol

I am looking for a heatsinkfor a phenom II x4 940. I am looking to get it to around 3.4, 3.5ghz. What is the best heatsink for its price? I've heard Zalmann makes good fans, but some are $80, while others are $30-40. Thanks

yhahh

I think for the price of the Thermalright ultra 120 you can get a complete watercooling kit. I was looking for a heatsink of the kind of the Ultra 120 and I finally decided to try the watercooling. I've ordered a Swiftech H2O 120 compact and I'm not disappointed of my choice.
Watercooling is more quiet, more effective and more fine in your case. Pipes get a very nice look and it doesn't take as much space as a lot of people think. A heatsink as the Ultra 120 is huge! And you haven't place fans yet... I find that kind of huge heatsink very ugly; but it's my likes, that argument hasn't a lot of value.

I don't know how many cost a watercooling kit in the USA. I'm french and in Europe it is very interesting compared to aircoolings with same performs.
So if you have the money, I advise you to look for a watercooling.
I said mine is the swiftech H2O compact, it's one of the cheapest kit and I can kill my CPU electric circuits with the Vcore, before the heat does... I've already raised the Vcore to 1.644v (very dangerous when going for 1.7v!!) and I got 60c in load! what else? (Tmax =~75c)

It's just my opinion, if you prefer aircooling it's your choice. But I'll never go back to aircooling. :)

mikesrex

I think for the price of the Thermalright ultra 120 you can get a complete watercooling kit. I was looking for a heatsink of the kind of the Ultra 120 and I finally decided to try the watercooling. I've ordered a Swiftech H2O 120 compact and I'm not disappointed of my choice.
Watercooling is more quiet, more effective and more fine in your case. Pipes get a very nice look and it doesn't take as much space as a lot of people think. A heatsink as the Ultra 120 is huge! And you haven't place fans yet... I find that kind of huge heatsink very ugly; but it's my likes, that argument hasn't a lot of value.

I don't know how many cost a watercooling kit in the USA. I'm french and in Europe it is very interesting compared to aircoolings with same performs.
So if you have the money, I advise you to look for a watercooling.
I said mine is the swiftech H2O compact, it's one of the cheapest kit and I can kill my CPU electric circuits with the Vcore, before the heat does... I've already raised the Vcore to 1.644v (very dangerous when going for 1.7v!!) and I got 60c in load! what else? (Tmax =~75c)

It's just my opinion, if you prefer aircooling it's your choice. But I'll never go back to aircooling. :)

don't you have an E8400? I'd like to see you get better results with water than what I got with my C0-stepping E8400 on air a long time ago.

everyone has so much advice, but how many of you actually use these products in your own computers (instead of reading about them on the internet) to their full potential?

bomberboysk

don't you have an E8400? I'd like to see you get better results with water than what I got with my C0-stepping E8400 on air a long time ago.

everyone has so much advice, but how many of you actually use these products in your own computers (instead of reading about them on the internet) to their full potential?

I use a xigmatek S1283 to keep a quad at 3.95Ghz.... Its best heatsink for the money imo.

yhahh

I think I've already tested its full potential lol ;)

superpib.jpg

Under aircooling I didn't can run over 3.8GHz and 1.312v Vcore. I had more than 70c in load.
Of cours my 24/7 settings are not @ 4.5GHz ^^

Last edited:

mikesrex

superpib.jpg

Under aircooling I didn't can run over 3.8GHz and 1.312v Vcore. I had more than 70c in load.

I run 4.68 GHz on air with my E8400 with a thermalright ultra 120. I'm sure other, similar, heatsinks can remove heat just as well (if not better) than the TRUE, but the point I'm making is that 3.8 to 4 GHz on an E8400 is nowhere near the limit. Are you sure you are putting the thermal compound on correctly inbetween the heatsink and the CPU?

FWIW there is a recent thread I made about my budget build E8500 setup that I run with a stock cooler. Check it out.

bomberboysk

superpib.jpg

Well, considering that the budget swiftech watercooling kit doesnt perform as well as a coolermaster V8, TRUE, or S1283V... those results arent that impressive, any good heatsink with correctly applied thermal compound and case airflow could top those results by 3-4c..

yhahh

yes all is perfectly installed. I had returned it to the shop where I bought it and they have said me taht all is normal, there are series which heat more than other... humm
The clock isn't very impressive, I wanted you to look at the Vcore, it's very high compared to others classics overclockings.
I know there are very good heatsink who make aircooling better than some watercooling.
But for me, watercooling is the futur of cooling (with the peltier). And you can upgrade all kits years after years...

bomberboysk

yes all is perfectly installed. I had returned it to the shop where I bought it and they have said me taht all is normal, there are series which heat more than other... humm
The clock isn't very impressive, I wanted you to look at the Vcore, it's very high compared to others classics overclockings.
I know there are very good heatsink who make aircooling better than some watercooling.
But for me, watercooling is the futur of cooling (with the peltier). And you can upgrade all kits years after years...

Well, for a budget kit like the 120 swiftech its kinda hard to upgrade, as the res is built into the radiator, and the pump/waterblock are one piece. Now, watercooling is worth it if you go for at least a halfway decent kit such as the 220 apex with the apogee gtz, mcp655 pump, and an actual radiator, or if you pick your own kit to begin with..