After power outtage, comp turns on then off repeatedly.

gymjunkie

As the title says, we had a power outtage during this crappy blizzard. The power just came back on, but now the lights and a couple fans on the computer turn on, then 1-3 seconds later they turn off, then it just keeps going back and forth from on to off.

I have no idea what to do to diagnose this. Its an old Intel computer I built and still use daily.

Windows 10
CPU: Intel i5-2400k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Ultra X4 850w ATX

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, it seems the pc took a dump on you with it being that old. About the only things you can do is unhook everything not needed to boot and see what happens.

So basically 1 stick of ram, remove video card and try using onboard video, disconnect all hard drives, all unnecessary usb devices and pci express add in cards. Might even want to try a different psu if you have one.

Can also try resetting cmos but you'll lose any settings you specifically had set before. If after all that and you still can't get a boot screen and access bios then the motherboard is most likely shot.

gymjunkie

Unfortunately, it seems the pc took a dump on you with it being that old. About the only things you can do is unhook everything not needed to boot and see what happens.

So basically 1 stick of ram, remove video card and try using onboard video, disconnect all hard drives, all unnecessary usb devices and pci express add in cards. Might even want to try a different psu if you have one.

Can also try resetting cmos but you'll lose any settings you specifically had set before. If after all that and you still can't get a boot screen and access bios then the motherboard is most likely shot.

It was a single stick of RAM, the one in slot 1. The others seem to work fine and everything is running.

I got lucky this time.

Thanks for your helpful steps on this, I really appreciate it.

Last edited: