After years of buying PCs I am a Mac owner

Mishkin

The whole PC vs Mac debate was never even a debate or war in the first place. In virtually EVERYTHING, the PC has and does trump Macs. The only thing the Mac (not for me but for some) may have going for it is its looks and OS. That is a matter of opinion, and if someone wants to pay out their ass for it, I respect that.

However, this subject is one that I find incredibly ironic, not to mention hilarious. While there are certainly exceptions on both sides, for the most part the Mac fandom in the "debates" consists of ignorant, non-computer geeks spewing untrue, completely illogical bs to back up their marketed-brainwashed view of Macintosh. It's like arguing with a 5 year old for the computer geeks (you know, the ones that actually know what the hell they're talking about, as opposed to say, the 15 year old girl who's dumber than a brick and adamant that Macs are superior), and it's just a sad, ironic deal.

Now again, I can't say anything about someone who prefers the Mac OS or visual aesthetics of some of its monitors, keyboards, etc. But that's as far as it goes. Every other category is on PC's side, and that is pure fact. I won't even get into the outrageous prices Macs have. Steve Jobs wasn't a visionary whatsoever. However, he WAS a goddamn genius when it came to knowing how to market an overly-expensive and generally inferior product to millions of stupid people around the world. That and maintaining excellent factories employing tons of people in Asia, that are so efficient that they also double as superb suicide factories.

I am speaking on desktops only here, although some points remain the same for other Apple products vs the competition, and other points are different.

Last edited:

Mishkin

PC - business + personal use. mac - graphics + multimedia

You're just repeating canned, cliched crap you've heard for years, since the rejuvenation of Macintosh and they began the whole graphics/hippie artist marketing crap.

Can you actually tell me why this is so? Go ahead and be specific. List programs, features, etc for me, explain why Macs are better in those areas. How about professional graphics, and stuff like CAD, etc. Are Macs better there and if they are, why? Don't be shy. I'm sure you know what you're talking about...

Last edited:

TekMaster

idc what im repeating haha ill never go with either!
this is what every great IT professional such as Scott Jernigan has told me. It dosnt matter, I dont use either, just professional feedback
and how it's really used LMAO! noobers. I can tell you apples gfx will never be up to par if amd has anything to do with it haha
big fat dump on apple/mac from the heart

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
The way it generally goes is that both do the job best. Depends on whos talking. Again, just like ford vs chevy vs dodge.

In my honest opinion Linux can do it better and safer than either "PC" or MAC.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The whole PC vs Mac debate was never even a debate or war in the first place. In virtually EVERYTHING, the PC has and does trump Macs. The only thing the Mac (not for me but for some) may have going for it is its looks and OS. That is a matter of opinion, and if someone wants to pay out their ass for it, I respect that.

Macs can run Windows, therefore there is nothing, a PC can do that a Mac cannot. If there is a PC only version of an application you can try running it in a VM, use the WINE/CrossOver API, or boot to Windows via Boot Camp.

However, this subject is one that I find incredibly ironic, not to mention hilarious. While there are certainly exceptions on both sides, for the most part the Mac fandom in the "debates" consists of ignorant, non-computer geeks spewing untrue, completely illogical bs to back up their marketed-brainwashed view of Macintosh. It's like arguing with a 5 year old for the computer geeks (you know, the ones that actually know what the hell they're talking about, as opposed to say, the 15 year old girl who's dumber than a brick and adamant that Macs are superior), and it's just a sad, ironic deal.

So everyone who owns a Mac is stupid. Women all have invalid opinions, and there is no such thing as a Microsoft/PC fanboy. Gotcha.

Now again, I can't say anything about someone who prefers the Mac OS or visual aesthetics of some of its monitors, keyboards, etc. But that's as far as it goes. Every other category is on PC's side, and that is pure fact. I won't even get into the outrageous prices Macs have. Steve Jobs wasn't a visionary whatsoever. However, he WAS a goddamn genius when it came to knowing how to market an overly-expensive and generally inferior product to millions of stupid people around the world. That and maintaining excellent factories employing tons of people in Asia, that are so efficient that they also double as superb suicide factories.

This statement is so laughable. You have zero empirical evidence to back up any claim you just made, including the ones about Steve Jobs. You are just making really bad generalizations.

I am speaking on desktops only here, although some points remain the same for other Apple products vs the competition, and other points are different.

If PCs and Windows were so superior why did Google just switch all their client machines to Macs? That is right, no one is allowed to run Windows at Google anymore unless they have speical permission to do so. I know this because of three facts: 1) I interviewed at Google for a Mac Sys Admin position, 2) I have several friends that work for Google, and 3) they freaking announced it to the media you can google it.

http://www.wavuti.com/4/post/2010/6...internally-no-more-windows.html#axzz1mDyQKOZZ

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html#axzz1mDz07QE2

When it comes down to it, a PC and a Mac they are both just tools. Whatever you are more productive on is the better tool. On paper though all Unix based OSes are superior for many reasons when comparing them to Windows.

linkin

VIP Member
Macs are PC's. You guys are debating the software... operating system. There is basically no physical difference in the internal parts, apart from design and also how the exterior looks. If you have the know-how you can get OSX on a PC (legal or not is an entirely different question) and you can get Windows and/or Linux on a mac.

The one thing macs have over PC's at the moment, hardware wise, is the IPS screens for accurate colours. They won't have this advantage forever as IPS screens are already on the market, and not exactly expensive depending on the size.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Macs are PC's. You guys are debating the software... operating system. There is basically no physical difference in the internal parts, apart from design and also how the exterior looks. If you have the know-how you can get OSX on a PC (legal or not is an entirely different question) and you can get Windows and/or Linux on a mac.

The one thing macs have over PC's at the moment, hardware wise, is the IPS screens for accurate colours. They won't have this advantage forever as IPS screens are already on the market, and not exactly expensive depending on the size.

I think you are generalizing it too much. Same components? No, same hardware architecture - yes. Otherwise, you are saying a cheap Acer laptop is on par with say a high end Asus or Lenovo that costs more money, when in fact they aren't.

Certain components will always be the same, RAM is RAM, hard drives are hard drives, optical drives are optical drives, etc. However, the actual internal components definitely have different levels of quality. Those computers that cost more tend to have higher quality parts.

This is a definite business model of computers and since I used Acer as an example (on purpose) I will show you that they are changing their business model and going to make higher end laptops with higher end components.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/12/ultrabooks_our.html

quote from Acer CEO:

"We will shift our strategy to improving profitability from pursuing market share blindly with cheap and unprofitable products," Wang told Dow Jones.

In the technology world you most definitely get what you pay for.

Oh and for IPS screens, there is a whole scale of IPS screens. That is why some of the IPS monitors costs thousands of dollars still, while some are under even say $500. With that sort of price range you are paying for quality of components. So, while some of the Apple products do use IPS screens you must look at the quality and specs of the screens of other tablets/laptops/monitors when comparing the two. Just having an IPS screen doesn't automatically make it equal in spec.