AGGGGGGHHHHGHGH stupid zalman

fortyways

banned
So yeah, I have a new Zalman CNPS9500 AT cpu cooler, which some liars told me was good because it had PWM control instead of Fanmate 2.

My motherboard isn't down with that, and now my computer sounds like 10 hairdryers caught in a jet engine, that's exploding. I'm also at risk of dying from the earthquake being caused by my fancy cpu fan. Or maybe the downstairs neighbors get mad that I knocked all their pictures off their walls and come shoot me.

Is there any way I can force this thing from 2500 rpm down to 1250 like the lies on the package say?

argh. dying.

PC eye

banned
The Zalman 9500s and 9700s alike have a fan controller with each. You can try adjusting the setting on that. I ran the 9500 led model on the last build(939) and now a 9700 blue led on the new AM2 build and both run quiet. Is the bracket for mounting loose at all?

fortyways

banned
The AT has no fanmate because it's only for Intel Socket 775. It has a 4 pin PWM cable and its speed is supposedly controlled automatically by the mobo. Mine has been at max ( 2650 RPM) since I booted up despite the core temp being 25C.

I think it's a really stupid idea. I'd rather have my computer burst into flames than listen to this every day. It's louder than the stock cooler.

fortyways

banned
Update

Okay, I just went ahead and used SpeedFan on it and now it's working nicely.

But if buying the Intel/AMD model for 10 bucks more means it'll come with a Fanmate (and a neat shiny light), I might have to go exchange it.

Thanks for the reply PC

PC eye

banned
The ones I have ordered came with the inline plugin controller. It's a small box with a adjustment stem shaped almost like volume control knob on that it. You simply peel the tape and stick on the outside of the case itself.

Since I haven't opened one up I haven't seen what value range the potentiometer is that they use for substituting that for a custom setup. That could allow a gradual rather then narrow adjustment range. Generally with a controller there's no loud sound. You may hear a slight bbbrrrr ing sound when you load a single core cpu however as the fan sees a good speedup then.

fortyways

banned
Today I traded in the 9500 AT (Intel only, no fan control) for a 9700 LED (most motherboards, 'FanMate 2') at Fry's Electronics.

For $20 USD more, it came with the Fanmate (the knob PC was describing), a larger 110mm fan, and the blue LED light. The heatsink is also larger.

Most importantly, the knob allows manual adjustment of the fan's speed down to ~600RPM and my case is now silent again.

I strongly suggest this model against the 9500 and the 9700 with the Nvidia label.

PC eye

banned
The 9500 and 9700 used on the two builds here(939-AM2 at present) are the blue led models that never saw any NVidia or ATI labels. They both came with the controller included that is somewhat preset positions with some variance allowed meaning a slight gradual adjustment between the standard and other.

With the 939 seeing a single core cpu the board saw more push for fan speed where you could hear only a slight sound when the fan sped up. On the new AM2 board seeing a dual core cpu a good load doesn't even see that anymore. Like I mentioned earlier if it wasn't fcr the blue led lights on the front,rear, and side cover fans you could walk by with the monitor off and not even know it was on.

You might have a loose mount for the fan motor or it's brushing up against the copper fins in the array making the noise you are hearing. Take a close look to see if that's the case there. When running firing up the new build the 9700's 110mm fan saw one blade stuck into the array where I simply pushed the motor forward until it spun freely.