Agh! Not Again!

PabloTeK

Back at the end of last year my PC went bang from a PSU failure and the motherboard died, before it even went through it's first POST, this time the board is just giving up. It's the GA-965P-DS4 rev 1.0 (Eck).

It all started a few months ago when it wouldn't power up properly (e.g. power up, shut down after 2 secs and repeat) which was easily fixed by removing the power cord and putting it back in. However today it just shut down, not BSOD, as if it went into hibernate and it wouldn't come back. So I killed it, it tried to restart and then it wouldn't. Much swearing ensued. After trying the plug trick it POST'ed and hung at the Gigabyte boot screen (I prefer the picture screen to the text). So I crouched down again and put one of the jumpers school provided me with a D&T kit and shorted the CLR_CMOS pins. Sucess! But I first had to re-load the old BIOS image because the current one hadn't been cleared all the way (useful feature the dual BIOS) so I selected it and it booted, although I'm unhappy with this board. It seems to run quite hot.

Do you reckon Novatech (the suppliers) will have it back? And do you reckon I could ween them out of the P35 version? I'm not too hopeful but the board is about 12 months old according to the box and they don't sell them any more. I'd rather Novatech gave me my money back so I could just get an Abit IP-35 Pro.

PabloTeK

Yep, and there are plenty of fans, 7 in fact:

1 PSU
1 CPU
1 GFX
4 case

I'm bored of these problems now, I just want to prawn some n00bs!

EDIT: The board isn't shorting out either and the latest and worst crash was when I was running VNC to my server, ventrilo and Firefox with CF.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I think that last PSU blew some things outta that motherboard... try setting the whole system out of the case and turning it on, only with the vital components though (take out the sound card, HDD, opticals... ect)

PabloTeK

We did that before when we re-built it. Unfortunately I think the board is dying as it didn't do this before...

PabloTeK

We did last time and they said contact the retailer first so we'll do that this time. Although I'm a little apprehensive about what Gigabyte will say, may be the Jeantech PSU. But that's been going fine.