AGP to PCI-E, is it really worth upgrading the system?

dansilva

hi.
I would like some suggestions/opinions to following please. I have a Abit IC7 MAX3 M/B which has a AGP slot and 5 PCI slots and I am currently using ATI 9800 pro AGP card. I have been looking forward to upgrade my graphic card but i can only stick to AGP cards no PIC-E, right? Since we are in a PCI-E era is it worth to upgrade my M/B so i could have the one of the best graphic cards to play games or just be satisfied with something like ATI X9800 Pro 512MB?

I am not a hardcore gamer but i do enjoy playing games like FEAR.

Thanks

Burgerbob

It really depends on your CPU. If it is something crappy (P4, old Athlon, old Sempron, etc) then there is no point.

dansilva

It really depends on your CPU. If it is something crappy (P4, old Athlon, old Sempron, etc) then there is no point.

I have Pentium4 3.0 Northwood, so you saying there is no point upgrading the graphics card just upgrade the system to what it is now days and i could have PCI-E slot for GFX card? or is it my CPU that needs an upgrade?

Thanks

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Theres really no point upgrading motherboards just to get one that supports PCI-E. I would wait until you want to upgrade your processor to, then you can do everything at once.

K3rupt

[-0MEGA-];699952 said:
Theres really no point upgrading motherboards just to get one that supports PCI-E. I would wait until you want to upgrade your processor to, then you can do everything at once.

LOL! I did exactly that.

I bought this motherboard so i could have PCI-E.

But i love it, its exceeded me expectations so i have kept it as primary system