AHCI/IDE problem?

Okedokey

Not withstanding anything that has already been said.. im 99% confident that the following process will solve it.

1. Download and install the latest chipset drivers https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  2. Restart
  3. Download and install the latest SATA drivers https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  4. Restart
  5. Download and extract to a FAT32 formatted USB stick (with nothing else on it) the latest motherboard BIOS https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  6. Restart
  7. Enter the bios and use the update BIOS utility
  8. Follow prompts
  9. Shutdown
  10. Remove all non essential hardware, that includes, non windows HDD, USB etc
  11. Reset the CMOS
  12. Start PC and enter BIOS
  13. Restore default BIOS settings (usually F5 then F10).
  14. Restart
  15. Re-enter bios, set the secondary boot option as your SSD and make sure its AHCI.
  16. Set the first boot option as DVD
  17. F10 and save and restart
  18. With Windows DVD installed, enter Windows installation
  19. Delete ALL partitions on windows SSD (assuming you only have windows on it and all files are backed up)
  20. Without creating any new partitions, click next to install windows
  21. Once Windows is installed, repeat steps 1 and 2.
  22. Update Windows.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
The cdrom drive is in a brown slot and configured as IDE. So I will move it to a grey slot and leave it as IDE. However I'm not sure if the grey slots are viewable from BIOS. When the HD was in that slot, Windows setup saw the HD but BIOS only lists the devices on sata ports 1-6.

Looking at the board, I don't think you can boot off anything plugged into the grey slots. Don't think they will work till after windows is installed and the ASMedia controller driver is installed.

I would plug them in the brown slots 0/1 or 1/2 however its listed. Reset the bios. On the first boot in the bios set the controllers in AHCI mode. Restart with the windows disk in the drive. Look at the bottom of the screen, it should have something like press blah blah key for boot order. Pick the Blu ray/DVD and see what happens.

maxamd

When you say "download and install", am I to be installing them in a windows environment while the HD is in my laptop? I'm not aware of any other way to "install" drivers. I only know of uploading drivers from a USB in the windows 8 boot environment. Even then, that isn't 'installing' by the typical sense of the word. Sorry for the confusion.

Not withstanding anything that has already been said.. im 99% confident that the following process will solve it.

1. Download and install the latest chipset drivers https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  2. Restart
  3. Download and install the latest SATA drivers https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  4. Restart
  5. Download and extract to a FAT32 formatted USB stick (with nothing else on it) the latest motherboard BIOS https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support
  6. Restart
  7. Enter the bios and use the update BIOS utility
  8. Follow prompts
  9. Shutdown
  10. Remove all non essential hardware, that includes, non windows HDD, USB etc
  11. Reset the CMOS
  12. Start PC and enter BIOS
  13. Restore default BIOS settings (usually F5 then F10).
  14. Restart
  15. Re-enter bios, set the secondary boot option as your SSD and make sure its AHCI.
  16. Set the first boot option as DVD
  17. F10 and save and restart
  18. With Windows DVD installed, enter Windows installation
  19. Delete ALL partitions on windows SSD (assuming you only have windows on it and all files are backed up)
  20. Without creating any new partitions, click next to install windows
  21. Once Windows is installed, repeat steps 1 and 2.
  22. Update Windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you say "download and install", am I to be installing them in a windows environment while the HD is in my laptop? I'm not aware of any other way to "install" drivers. I only know of uploading drivers from a USB in the windows 8 boot environment. Even then, that isn't 'installing' by the typical sense of the word. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, not sure what he meant there as you can't install chipset or sata drivers without being inside windows. Do as Stranglehold suggested. Only have the SSD connected not the other hard drive and try installing windows again. Connect SSD to Ports 1 thru 4 and cd rom to port 5 or 6.

maxamd

Yeah, not sure what he meant there as you can't install chipset or sata drivers without being inside windows. Do as Stranglehold suggested. Only have the SSD connected not the other hard drive and try installing windows again. Connect SSD to Ports 1 thru 4 and cd rom to port 5 or 6.

I have been putting the SSD on ports 1/2 and the CDrom on port 5. That way I can keep the SSD in AHCI mode and I can put the CDrom on IDE mode (read a few places that they prefer this mode).

And still nothing. Yes it's a valid CD. Both the w7 and w8 CD's I've used are auth.

maxamd

The wipe failed. I tried KILLDisk and DBAN. I even tried inside of Ubuntu. Sudo fdisk -l showed nothing. and the operations in DBAN would just fill the screen with text flying upward, with a second counter on the left side of the screen. Which eventually halted after about an hour. Any way to check to see if it wiped?

maxamd

Partition Wizard is showing the SSD as a "Bad Disk". Could this be simply because it isn't written for solid state drives?

Okedokey

no, it sounds like it might be damaged. I would see if there are any updates to the SSD BIOS on the motherboard's website.

maxamd

Yeah, Asus says they have supported the fx-8350 since BIOS v. 1006. It's currently 2103, and there is v. 2104 available. Probably fairly negligible changes. So I'm going to see if I can boot the SSD from my laptop into W8 and see if I can wipe it from there.

maxamd

The harddrive/bios password I had set from when the SSD was in my laptop was preventing anything and everything from accessing the HD. I figured it was proprietary to the laptop, guess not. Freedom at last lol