AHH Can't boot!

FiveSeven

Recently I bought a brand new Lenovo desktop, it worked great for about a month and I woke up this morning and all the desktop will do is give me the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" I insert the windows 7 disk and after I enter time and date it says a:/ and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to enter there to repair the boot. Any ideas on the problem? Or just what I'm supposed to do to get to repair?

OH and the first thing it says when I insert my CD is say Init cannot detect hard disks

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It may be something as simple as a loose hard drive cable, but considering that it's only a month old, you might think about returning it for warranty repair.

FiveSeven

I opened it up and see that the hard drive has FOUR cables that aren't hooked in, do they all need to be in? I don't see any slots they could fit into.

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

Yes make sure all the cables are in i'd say the Sata power has come out and therefore there is no power running to the hard drive.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
As a general rule, there aren't any loose cables in a commercially-built machine.

Is this cable attached to the drive but not the motherboard?

FiveSeven

I think they're coming from the power supply. There really is no way they can reach either the power supply or the hd though. Should I take a picture?

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

If possible can you take a photo and post it on here it would be interesting to see what is disconnected.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Oh... :eek:

Yeah, there are often extra power cables... sorry.

Check your ribbon/SATA cables, those are the flat ones, and make sure they are securely inserted into their respective slots.

Hard drives should have one power cable and one data cable connected each.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
If both of those are correctly installed, then you have a far more sinister problem. You'll have to take it in.
argh.gif

FiveSeven

U_U computers computers computers. Anyways when I put in the win7 disk what is a:/ asking for. It's like a command, what kind of command? I tryed Fixboot, Help, Recover, nothing worked.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have someone that knows more about computers help you out. This could be either a loose data or power cable going to the hard drive or possible failed hard drive. Or it could also be a bad bios setting. Go into the bios and see if it detects a hard drive.

FiveSeven

Where do you see whether it detects it or not? All I see is choosing whether to disable it, do IDE mode or AHCI mode. I supposed that probably means it's detected. It's in AHCI mode right now, is that a problem?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you boot into the bios there should be a page where it detects or lists what hardware it sees like hard drive, cdrom drives, memory, cpu. Did you change the setting from ide to ahci?

FiveSeven

No I didn't touch this computers Bios until after this booting problem happened.

Only thing like that is devices which just changes their settings it says

USB settings
Ata drive settings
Video settings
Audio settings
Network settings

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have anyone that can help you out, you should contact Lenovo for support since it should be under warranty. The hard drive only needs 2 cables plugged in and thats the power cable and data cable, just make sure they are attached well and also check the other end.

Try this, leave the cover off and turn the computer on, listen to see if you can hear the hard drive spin up or take the drive out and put it in your hands and feel if it spins up. Does it make any noise, like clicking?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You mean the tower? Hard drives shouldn't beep. Usually they make a clicking sound but I have heard them make a noise similar to a muffled beep. If the drive is making a noise then its most likely shot. You need someone to confirm this.

FiveSeven

It's definately the hard drive..I heard the beep in the beggining of all of this but it was really quiet, now that I opened it up and ran it it's definately the hard drive....