AHHH! (still restarting...)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I was making a 3D image in poser, almost finished, when *CLICK* it was gone! :mad: :eek: I have no freakin clue what's going on! I have upgraded the video drivers and that seemed to fix some problems, but only for a few days...

I removed my TV Tuner, then decided I'd try and load some new nForce drivers. The damn thing reset during the installation, so there goes that idea... Once back in windows, I tried again. Though the install pretty much completeted, I got an error at the end. I can't recall exactly what the number was, but basically, it was simply a box with 1150 on it and the OK button. I think it was relating to the NIC as new audio drivers were installed, SMC seemed to install fine.

Another idea I had could possibly be the USB hub I'm using. I have two external drives(one had been on firewire but it causes my machine to power up if it's left on...) I pulled it off and I'll try to just run off my current USB ports...not that I odn't have enough of them, I was just trying to have less ports on the back.

I'm really baffled here! It's so random! I mean today it did restart while I was using 3D, but normally it's when I'm just doing something in windows, like clicking the back button!

This thing has to work! I absolutely can't be doing this because I need it for college. I'm about to the point of just leaving it here and bringing my old machine with me...I really didn't want to use something so old just because it's been used so much, but hell, it's more stable!

Lax

VIP Member
Could be a mobo problem somewhere down the line. If you haven't already checked the ram (which I'm sure you did) do that. Reformat completely and re-install windows (if memory test ok, could possibly be bad HDD sectors) with the barest of parts (no tuner, no external drives, no extra cards) just ram, GFx, Mobo, CPU, HDD, CD. You checked your PSU already and said that was good, so leave it for now, but it could still be the problem. With the restarts you describe though it almost sounds like a memory problem (although I thought we figured out it wasn't in your previous thread).

lynx6200

Im just going to throw in a few thoughts, though Im sure youve already heard them, so sorry for repeated ideas. My first thought would be the m/b or psu. I use an abit AV8, and when I had similar problems I got post codes that where not identified in the book. If you have a post code thingy, check the codes when your computer malfunctions like that, and you can send Abit an email to get more information on the codes.

Abit also has pretty good erma service, so if its the m/b is a possible problem, like I thought mine was, I sent it tot hem, paid shipping, but that was it, they checked it out and sent it back.

edit: sorry, when i was posting their wherent any other posts yet.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yeah, I checked the RAM, and it passed just fine. I haven't formatted just yet, but I just might do that now as I'm out of ideas...

As for tearing it down, there's not much else I could take out. I'm currently running it without anything connected to the USB ports. I got the tuner back in as that shouldn't cause a problem. The only other card in there is the GFX card...

Yeah, I too thought it was memory, but apparently not... I think I'll reload windows on it now...just have to get a floppy disk so I can load the RAID drivers.

EDIT: Actually, I got to drivers for XP64... My floppy doesn't want to work with it. I thought about reloading XP, but I'm not exactly sure where my floppy is. Maybe I'll send a note to Abit and see what they say about this problem while I wait around to see if it occurs again.

EDIT2: I just flashed the bios. Nothing was mentioned about my problem, but the bios was very new(around 5 days old) so I figured it couldn't hurt...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
OK...some light on this annoying problem... I loaded my machine with 2003 Server and things seem to be running a tad bit better. I can now use the uGuru clock and click Normal or Quiet without it restarting! Now if I click turbo, it goes to a black screen and I must restart it. I don't know what it tries to set it to, but the Athlon 64 4000 is locked, correct?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was making a 3D image in poser, almost finished, when *CLICK* it was gone!
Hehe ... what version?

As for tearing it down, there's not much else I could take out. I'm currently running it without anything connected to the USB ports. I got the tuner back in as that shouldn't cause a problem. The only other card in there is the GFX card...
Are u using OpenGL acceleration in Poser? Try disabling it

I don't know what it tries to set it to, but the Athlon 64 4000 is locked, correct?
Like all Athlon64 processors they are uplocked

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I use Poser 6.

I've reloaded my system and yet to load Poser again. I can try to disable OpenGL, but this is the first time it's ever messed up and I use it a good bit.

Uplocked? I was thinking just the FX series were unlocked.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Ah, ok, basically what I thought...

I tried Race Driver II and got a BSOD. Um, Machine_Exception or something like that. This time it actually stayed up for a while and showed it dumping the memory. After rebooting, it ran it fan. *shrugs* I beleive I loaded the beta video drivers, so that could be the problem...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Alrighty... I've gotten a few restarts recently, but I'm trying to figure out if they are related to drivers or what. I now have 2003 Server Enterprise installed. Two times it messed up in Race Driver. Just recently, I was clicking stop in Firefox. I got something like MACHINE_EXCEPTION_ERROR twice(in the game and with Firefox) then something about a PAGE_FAULT, if I remember correct.y... I wish the previous errors would of stayed up long enough for me to tell what they were about -.-

I just reloaded the newest none beta drivers for nForce, and 71.89 for the video, both windows XP versions as there's nothing for 2003 32bit... I think these are the same drivers I had before aside from networking...