Airflow confusion, Intake fans in the front or maybe the top?

u8mypizza

Hello all, I'm building a computer as soon as the case comes in. I've already got a plan in mind to conquer this. I won't bore you with the specs, but I would like to know if anyone has tried something like this. I will be mounting a 115i in the front of the case where the 2x140mm fans will be bringing air in through a push configuration, and a another radiator with a 120mm fan in the rear for the GPU which will be a pull configuration, as well as three 120mm fans on top pushing air out as well. since I have two radiators in this build I wanted to have plenty of case fans for optimal airflow. I'm using after market fans on everything. But I know the golden rule of airflow which is "cold air in, hot air out" But since my radiator will be in the front, and another one in the rear, will that cause temperature issues through out the rig?

What I was thinking was putting the three fans on top to pull air in and configure the fans to push air out through the radiators on the front and rear.

What do you guys think?

_Glitch

I would do the exact opposite. Radiator fans as intake (both in pull config for easier cleaning) and the 3 fans on top as outtake.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Cool in from the front, warm out from the back and/or up top, the smoother flow the better. Slight negative pressure works best inside a case - ideally the rear will help create a small vacuum and promote the highest pull flow across the components. Fewer fans often means better flow.

Just set it up like that and forget about it - other ways will most likely raise the temperature inside due to turbulent flow and/or pockets of sitting air. Not to mention considerably louder than it has to be.