AIW 9800 Pro (AGP) -> BFG GeForce 7800GS OC 256MB (AGP)

Hylian

Anyone able to provide some insight of what type of improvements would come of such an upgrade?

I mainly like to play WoW, Counterstrike, FEAR, and a few others.

Putting the AGP slot aside, do you think this would last me for 2-3 years processing wise?

What's a similar ATI card of the same caliber?

And one final question...Does the stock cooling usually suffice for now-a-days video cards, or is it a given that if you want your card to do what the box says, you need to install a new GPU cooler?

Sorry for all the questions, yet I'm kinda dumb founded when it comes to comparing cards.

Iluvpenguins

1)The upgrade would be VERY noticeable,you'll be introduced to something new,little to no lag in very new games at high video settings.

2)FEAR,WoW,CS would play alot better on it,well WoW might not be too noticeable.

3)The card won't last 2-3 years sadly,think of 1-1.5 years at most,technology is rapidly moving and the 8 series is just around the corner.

4)Ati's X1800 i believe is ATI's rival for the 7800,not sure about for the specific GS,but look into those 2 models of cards.

5)The stock cooling on cards are perfectly fine unless it doesn't work or if you overclock and the card starts getting hot,other than that,stock cooling will work great.

ceewi1

VIP Member
There are no AGP X1800s, ATIs top AGP card is the X850XT.

It's a significant upgrade on your existing card, but given the cost i'd look at putting in a few extra dollars and upgrading the motherboard as well. AGP cards are far more expensive than equivelant PCI-E models.

Iluvpenguins

Yeah,but i dont think he wants to format his drive,I believe he cant use his HD with windows on a new motherboard unless it has the same chipset.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah,but i dont think he wants to format his drive,I believe he cant use his HD with windows on a new motherboard unless it has the same chipset.

Yea you can, you just have to change a few drivers before you swap boards out!

Last edited:

Hylian

I'm in a sticky situation. I have a product service plan for my 9800 that expires Dec 2007. I think I'll wait till next summer to upgrade to a PCI-E card. I don't want to upgrade my mobo without upgrading the Video interface (to PCI-E), and the RAM (to DDR2).

Now...what to do to my 9800 so it doesn't look like fraud...lol

fade2green514

its a LOT better than a 9800pro. ive had a 9800pro and ive got a 7800gt... which is around the same performance as a 7800gs... and trust me, the 7800gs is a LOT better than a 9800pro.
but the 7800gs wont have any of the tv ports and converters that the AIW has...

Hylian

Yeah the problem though is money. It would take some time to save it up to make such an upgrade. Also with DX10 and a new windows OS coming out, I'm not really sure I wanna jump right into it. When I make upgrades, I do the whole main system (RAM, CPU, Mobo). It's just a lot easier to sell those as a set than separately I've found, and a whole lot easier to buy new stuff when the OS is in it's final release format. Also, I wish to see what AMD has to offer in the future to battle intel's core duo thingies :)

I think it's just a bad time to upgrade anything too major at this point...which is why I was sorta opting for the AGP version. Yet, I'll probably wait till next summer to upgrade anyways. I'm also saving up for a Wii, and if I did go nVidia, I'd loose the CATV ports in which I could use to connect it to my computer. And one of the reasons I recently bought a new monitor, was to get rid of my TV :), and play the Wii on.

Thanks for offering insight though on the card. I always appreciate the helpful responses I get from these boards :)