alienware = ripoff

lilm3boi

Greg J. said:
Monitors?

Quote from The best desktop "Unstoppable" it says:

"The Alienware® 20.1” LCD Display

The Alienware® 20.1” LCD display offers performance and style to match the demands of gamers, professionals and enthusiasts requiring uncompromising monitor technology.

Featuring a quick 16ms response time, crisp 400:1 contrast ratio and bright 250 cd/m² brightness, everything from games to text will have the vibrant color and precise detail you expect. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

16ms? That is absolutely terrible. Absolutely premium LCD screens now have response times of 4 ms!! What in the world are you paying for? Oh, and you know the technology button symbols listed in the description? Well, it says "DVD audio" and another says "24 bit sound".......24 bit??? Why isn't it 32-bit audio?

One last thing....Alienware claims that the SLI Nvidia cards provide twice the speed and power........thing is, SLI right now is only about %90 efficient in performance and power increase...not absolutely %100.

Bottom line: Not really worth it. All of that will be outdated soon.

First off, 16ms is not terrible. 16 MS is equal to approximately 60 fps. I say around the 60-100 area is when you can't even notice the difference. Plus it is a 20 inch screen, please, find a 20 inch screen with that response time.

Next, it's only 24 bit because the sound blaster audidy zs is 24 bit. Even the Audigy 4 pro is only 24 bit.

Finally, I bet somewhere you could find a benchmark could prove their statistics right. Anyways, 90% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I am in no way supporting the immence costs of Alienware, I was just pointing out errors in your 'analysis' of Alienware.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lilm3boi said:
First off, 16ms is not terrible. 16 MS is equal to approximately 60 fps. I say around the 60-100 area is when you can't even notice the difference. Plus it is a 20 inch screen, please, find a 20 inch screen with that response time.

i would agree. 16MS is gaming worthy, and probably the most common. If you want 4Ms, sure, pay a RIDICULOUSLY high price for it. The Alienware prices won't seem like anything compared to that.

Greg J.

VIP Member
16 ms is okay. Yes, it is 24 bit sound.....but I thought Alienware could do much better in many ways for the amount of money. Tell me, why do I see smearing on my friend's computer on a 17" Dell LCD monitor.....maybe 12ms when he plays Half Life 2 on a Radeon 9800 pro? He had everything to maximum. I lowered the settings of anti-aliasing, antisotrophic filtering, resolution, and set the geometry to Bi rendering, not Tri rendering to low-end settings to boost the frames per second up high. The game still looked smeared on the LCD screen. I have played the demo on my computer with my CRT monitor and don't see any smearing, obviously.

Bottom line, 12 ms is still very noticable to observant eyes. I see your points. Thank you for pointing out my errors. I understand now. 8 ms is fairly noticable, and 4 ms is almost spot-on.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Greg J. said:
16 ms is okay. Yes, it is 24 bit sound.....but I thought Alienware could do much better in many ways for the amount of money. Tell me, why do I see smearing on my friend's computer on a 17" Dell LCD monitor.....maybe 12ms when he plays Half Life 2 on a Radeon 9800 pro? He had everything to maximum. I lowered the settings of anti-aliasing, antisotrophic filtering, resolution, and set the geometry to Bi rendering, not Tri rendering to low-end settings to boost the frames per second up high. The game still looked smeared on the LCD screen. I have played the demo on my computer with my CRT monitor and don't see any smearing, obviously.

Bottom line, 12 ms is still very noticable to observant eyes. I see your points. Thank you for pointing out my errors. I understand now. 8 ms is fairly noticable, and 4 ms is almost spot-on.

you are comparing LCD to CRT...the quality is going to be different, be it 4ms or 20ms response time on the LCD. CRT i think is STILL better than LCD quality, even at 12ms.

Also, seriously, it's a Dell monitor. They don't make the best monitors. They might be best bang for your buck, but overall (throw budget out the window) they are not high quality compared to other brands.

xDarkWizardx

If you wanted to spend even more money you could hook up four 42 inch plasma screens. Then you could have them all runnuing the matrix code backround and that would look badass :)

Greg J.

VIP Member
Quote: "you are comparing LCD to CRT...the quality is going to be different, be it 4ms or 20ms response time on the LCD. CRT i think is STILL better than LCD quality, even at 12ms."

Yeah, I gave him the suggestion of getting a top quality CRT monitor instead of using the LCD.....and a different, wider desk, to put all his crap on.

Although they do overprice their product, they deserve props for creating their own designs and becoming such a large coorporation. I mean, I'd rather buy one of their computers than voodoo or predator and such.

Grimulus

Greg J. said:
Quote: "you are comparing LCD to CRT...the quality is going to be different, be it 4ms or 20ms response time on the LCD. CRT i think is STILL better than LCD quality, even at 12ms.".

CRT does have much better color depth than LCDs do, you're definitely right about that. Photo editors and such should definitely have a professional quality CRT in front of them, I'm thinking about buying a viewsonic solely for that purpose. :p

LCD technology is becoming better and better all the time, mostly noticed is the response time. Some monitors are down to 8ms, mine is 12ms(samsung 172x), and honestly i can't complain about the gaming, color is good for the most part, and I'm happy with it.

it all really depends on wether or not to get an LCD or CRT depending on your needs. a gamer that moves around a lot(Lanner), or just pushed for space, at 12ms or better LCD is definitely the way to go. or a coder, lcds are good for them as well.

anything else, CRT. :) less expensive and better overall quality with the downfall of size. :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what sane non rich people shop at alienware anyway .
i would answer that but id prolly end up offending the smart ones ...

i wouldn't say 2 30 inch lcds should be incorporated into the computer cost. .
well since computers consist of, for lack of better terminology, "a box", they arent a part of that core .

even if i had 200billion dollors i wouldn ;t shop there, even though i have the money why waste it .
because you cant get video array from anywhere else (of course thats time-sensitive)

one last thing ...alienware claims that the sli nvidia cards provide twice the speed and power ...thing is, sli right now is only about %90 efficient in performance and power increase ...not absolutely %100.
but the neat thing is that they never said that (a) performance would be twice ... the speed certainly is though ... (b) as for power, this is a clever one -- they never said how they measure it ... if you have two 6800gts you use two power connectors, if you only have once 6800gt you only have one connector (granted this caveat ignores the definition of power ...)

the game still looked smeared on the lcd screen. i have played the demo on my computer with my crt monitor and don't see any smearing, obviously .
easy on the zealot-mode ;) (although i feel ya entirely) comparing an lcd to a crt is like comparing a retard to a rhodes scholar)

8 ms is fairly noticable, and 4 ms is almost spot-on .
id argue 90% of users wont notice 8ms .

if you wanted to spend even more money you could hook up four 42 inch plasma screens
whats the d .p on them screens ?

although they do overprice their product, they deserve props for creating their own designs and becoming such a large coorporation. i mean, i'd rather buy one of their computers than voodoo or predator and such .
not just that -- it's a business plain and simple -- they are out to make money -- if they find that they can price it as such and people will buy it then they will price it as such. being an ostensible product/logo doesnt help the consumer much

i'm thinking about buying a viewsonic solely for that purpose
not all viewsonics (as im sad to say) are super duper monitors.

Regardless, this convo is getting wayyyy off topic....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
:S seems like Plasma screens suffer from that silly native resolution crap too (and the d.p. isnt listed)

Greg J.

VIP Member
SONY PFM42X1/B Black 42" 16:9 Plasma Monitor - Retail
Built in Speakers: 7W x 2 Digital AMP
Dimensions (W×H×D): 40.8" x 24.9" x 4"
Display Colours: 1.06 Billion
Input Connectors: D-Sub, DVI, S-Video, Composite, Component, RCA
Input Video Compatibility: Analog RGB, NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL60, PAL-M, PAL-N
Native Resolution: 1024x768

Display Colours: 1.06 Billion

1.06 billion colors? It would be wise to have powerful, high-end video hardware.

OH!! And since computers are always outdated soon, an Alienware VALUE system might be the way to go.

Lax

VIP Member
OH!! And since computers are always outdated soon, an Alienware VALUE system might be the way to go.

Not soon, immediately. As soon as you build/buy/create/plan/think about it they become obsolete. At the rate technology is going it's really not worth it to "buy the newest stuff" because you've already bought outdated material. If anything you buy what you need to do what you want and stick with that until it's no longer compatible with the systems run. I know people that are still using 386 DX2's just because all they do is check email and use Word Perfect (no not the newest one).

P.s. just to get it back on topic.......IMO Alienware is very overpriced.

Lax

VIP Member
Not to get into semantics but i thought "DX2"s were a 486 thing

Yes, you are very much correct, made a mistake with that one.

Opinion perhaps but Id say their Bot lineup is quite affordable

True, not VERY overpriced, but still, couldn't you build your own for less (of equal performance)?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
True, not VERY overpriced, but still, couldn't you build your own for less (of equal performance)?
Yes indeed but the Bot does allow Alienware to price-wise compete with the more mainstream OEM market.

r53s

Perhaps Exploded has the well known Syndrome of
"add to the shopping bag", and went plenty of
gadgets, peripherals and games...