Alienware

Pancakes

I need some opinions on my new computer.

Its an alienware because i dont feel like building my own and i want a good warrenty/ reliable company

Processor: amd 3500+ w/ Ht
Power Supply: 650w atx
Cooling : alienice 2.0 video cooling w/ acoustic dampening
Mobo: Alienware nforce4 sli chipset mobo pci express
RAM: 1GB low-latency dual channel DDR pc-3200 at 400 mhz(2x512)
Hardrive: 80gb serial ata 1.5gb/s 7,200 rpm highperformance
Video card: 1xGeforce 7800 Gt (when i get more money ill get another)

Some options i think i might change are

cooling: alienware liquid cooling w/ alienice 2.0
video card: 1xgeforce 7800 gtx (get 2 when i get more money)

Questions
Is there a major difference between the Gt and the Gtx
Is the a major difference between Air and Liquid cooling?
Is there anything wrong with the rest of my set up?

right now the price is at: 1,590
with upgraded cooling : 1,705
with upgraded video card :1,758
with upgraded cooling and video card : 1,873

kof2000

gtx has 512mb versions, you dont need water cooling if air cooling is sufficient for that setup with whatever you're planning to add later and with the stuff you're getting with that setup u might wanna change the cpu to something else.

mrgeorgedude

it does look like a nice system...except i know u werent asking for this answer but u seriously could get that system for maybe 1000-1200 if u built...even if u had to hire someone to do it u'd be making money

bigsaucybob

Unless you plan on some serious overclocking dont get water cooling. and instead of upgrading to watercooling and a 7800gtx, i wuld upgrade to a dual core processor.

Pancakes

Arnt duel core processors just for multi tasking and stuff?
i dont need to multi task, i just need to run a program and run it very good.lol

Plus does anyone know the difference between the gt and gtx which do u recommend?

one gtx or 2 gts? or whatever?

Last edited:

spamdos

it does seem pricey but alienware has a good rep and so on. i think it would be worth upgrading the processor a bit

Pancakes

I wish i had the money to upgrade my processor.
For now a 3500 is fine...
i have a 3400 in my comp now and it works great.

Dr Studly

banned
i would build ur own and then have it better than that...

about $300 of what u r paying for ur pc is for the brand (which is mostly just hype to make ppl beleive it is a good brand---marketing))... + when u get that you are gona have all types of trials on it and thins telling u to get this internet that internet, this anti-virus that antivirus... if you build ur own it isn't gona have all that...

i am not saying alienwares suck or anything... but it isn't worth paying so much extra for the name in my opinion

Last edited:

Pancakes

suprasteve said:
I don't think this statement and Alienware should be used in the same sentence, I don't feel like retyping so here you go: http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?p=236186#post236186

Alienware has had some bad horror stories yet so have many other mainstream companies like dell n hp.
But alienware also has thousands of good comments too. Majority of owners say they are very realiable, and good machines.
Plus i really really can not build my own computer, my parents will now allow it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Pancakes said:
Arnt duel core processors just for multi tasking and stuff?
i dont need to multi task, i just need to run a program and run it very good.lol

Plus does anyone know the difference between the gt and gtx which do u recommend?

one gtx or 2 gts? or whatever?
many programs and games are multi-threaded, which would make dual-cores perform those games/apps much faster than a single core.

Mr.Suave

if you want prebuilt then y not try these sites. thier alot cheaper than Alienware and you have better choices: ibuypower.com and monarchcomputer.com(i recommend this one, they let you choose parts from thier store and theyll build it for like $50)

Pancakes

I went to monarch and built the same exact computer as the alienware i want to get and it was 700 dollars more expensive and thats not even including the warranty....

rahving

If you check out mwave.com, they will build and test a barebones system for you (most everything besides vid card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive). Also, for something around $50-$75 they will build any full computer based on specs you choose...ANYTHING from their site, which is most anything mainstream whatsoever in existence. Even going the full system route through them, I'm willing to bet you would save quite a bit of money.

I tried to configure one at monarch computer and ibuypower too, they are way more expensive than mwave.

fiendofmine

wow this is a forum FULL of computer noobs, if you people feel like learning stuff go to Extremeoverclocking.com or Overclock.net