Alignment with my I/O sheild and motherboard.. HELP?!

Gabriel Weller

I’m having troubles with my alignment with my I/O shield and the ports on my mother board. This mid-alignment is really noticeable with the WiFi ports and the DVI port. I have an idea that the mid-alignment is coming form the tabs that apart of the I/O shield. And causing the motherboard to be pushed down farther than they should be. Or is it the case that came with pre-installed standoff’s. My mother board is a Asus Z270E. I’m getting a little OCD about this and I do not know how to fix it.. can someone please help me?

886F9DBF-3BFD-4D7B-9478-3B7EC279A232.jpeg

_Pete_

Probably standoffs. Remove the board and the standoffs. place a piece of cardboard in the case to isolate the board from the metal case then line up the standoff holes. It may well be that you cannot use a standoff but as long as the board is totally secure that doesn't matter.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say you have a standoff problem. However, in the image, it looks like the right wifi connector is too low and the left seems ok to me. Also the ps2 port is too far to the left. Seems like your missing a standoff or using the wrong size. If the wifi is too low then that wouldn't be a standoff issue, would be something else.

Gabriel Weller

I would say you have a standoff problem. However, in the image, it looks like the right wifi connector is too low and the left seems ok to me. Also the ps2 port is too far to the left. Seems like your missing a standoff or using the wrong size. If the wifi is too low then that wouldn't be a standoff issue, would be something else.

Im sorry for the terrible picture.. I’m having issues downloading a better one onto this post.. I also have a couple thoughts maybe on why this may be happening but I wouldn’t mind your thoughts on them. 1.) so on the I/O sheild there are these clips above a couple of the ports. Such as the DVI port, HDMI port, and the port above that one. I think these clips are maybe pushing down on the motherboard. Causing it the shit to right 2.) another thought is that my I/O sheild may be bent and it’s causing the alignment to be off. This alignment is weird, it’s hard to tell from the picture but looking at the audio ports (towards the bottom, specifically the blue one.), the alignment is perfect but as you go up towards the the WiFi port it starts the shift off. As if it’s slanted to the right as you move up. What do you think? If it were to be the stand offs, how could I fix that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That motherboard requires 9 standoffs and in the correct places. Did you use all 9? What case do you have? With computers anything can be wrong, the I/O port could be not made correctly. Those clips you are describing aren't clips, they are just tabs to help support the ports from moving and alignment. I have had to bend some in order to put motherboard in. If you used all 9 standoffs and in the correct places, then you might have to remove motherboard and remove I/O shield to show us a picture of the back side of the plate.

Gabriel Weller

That motherboard requires 9 standoffs and in the correct places. Did you use all 9? What case do you have? With computers anything can be wrong, the I/O port could be not made correctly. Those clips you are describing aren't clips, they are just tabs to help support the ports from moving and alignment. I have had to bend some in order to put motherboard in. If you used all 9 standoffs and in the correct places, then you might have to remove motherboard and remove I/O shield to show us a picture of the back side of the plate.

I’m sorry I should’ve told you the standoff came pre-installed.. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid tower.. tempered glass edition. All stand offs were screwed in correctly (snug tight, until it was tight).

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Might have to remove motherboard and show us the standoffs. Still seems like the top left one is either missing or its the wrong size.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. Can you tell if they are the same length? Other than that, it may also be the motherboard ports are crooked. You'll just have to figure it out.