All about the BIOS chip (yeah I need help)

bengal85

OK so I think I gave my BIOS chip a static shock and is there any way I can fix that with out spending a lot of money.

The comp is a
Dell 2100 series (Black)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Save your money and get a better system. That dell is pretty old. By the time you spend the money to get it fixed, you could almost have a decent system.

Bodaggit23

OK so I think I gave my BIOS chip a static shock and is there any way I can fix that with out spending a lot of money.
Probably not, unless your board has a removable BIOS chip.

Otherwise the whole board would need to be replaced.

just a noob

if you could find another mobo with an identical bios chip, you could desolder both of them, and solder the working one onto your current board, it should work, but then again, i would think that it is more trouble than it is worth

StrangleHold

Staff member
if you could find another mobo with an identical bios chip, you could desolder both of them, and solder the working one onto your current board, it should work, but then again, i would think that it is more trouble than it is worth

Get real, have you saw how small the contacts are on a bios chip, you would have to find somebody with the right equipment and they would charge you more than the whole computer is worth.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Think its a Intel socket 370 model no. 2E087. If you really want to keep the computer, see if you can find a used board.

bengal85

Yeah that would be a bad idea

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If i was you id just find a cheap Cpu/mobo and Ram combo deal.....you can usualy pick up cheap AMD bundles these days and it will be quite an upgrade from your current system :)

I agree with the other guys,Not realy worth getting a replacement board,You might get that board and find out its damaged the cpu and ram too.

bengal85

I dont think it has hurt the RAM any because it ran in my friends computer just fine I am not sure about alot of the other stuff.

I think it took my video card though but I had a replacement for that