ALL restored files need permission to open

Jimuk78

i have recently restored my windows 10 machine to factory settings. All my files were backed up on a separate external WD hard drive. Now I’ve restored all of the files back to their original positions on the newly refreshed PC, its now telling me that I am not the owner of any of these files and I need to have permission to view them. Do I really have to sit here and inherit every single file or is there a simpler way that will only take a couple of minutes to grant all my files?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use the take ownership.reg file. Google it. I would post more but currently on my phone. Are you using the same user name?

Jimuk78

The user name is my email address, I have just renamed the PC to "home" as when refreshed, windows gave it a mix of random numbers and letters.

Darren

Staff member
Right click on the parent folder then go to the security tab. Click Advanced and across the top it should let you change the Owner. Enter your username (email in this case) in the following popup and then hit ok. It should now say that the owner is that user profile. Also be sure to enable inheritance and check the box to replace all child object permissions at the bottom and then hit OK. It'll take a while but this should give you full control over everything in that folder.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I'm home I'll give you specifics on the file to download. As its much easier then trying to figure out how to take ownership the old fashioned way.

Download this.

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...s-10-a-add_take_ownership_to_context_menu.reg

Run it and allow it to merge with the registry. It will give you the take ownership menu in the right click menu. All you need to so is right click on the folder you need access to and click on take ownership and it will start the process.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html