All USB not working

lulumara

Hi need some help , first of all I got a blue screen and after opening it doesn`t boot it said corrupt and missing
<window root> system 32 hal.dll
Please re install a copy of the above file.
But when I re-install it didn`t find any said file so I had to remove and install a fresh Window XP media, But after installing I had no internet, maybe I didn`t install the driver for all the device. so when I install the driver my wireless mouse stop to work so I checked all USB and use a wire mouse that is working on my laptop but it doesn`t work all of my USB are all the same . Any ideas or solution, I can`t even install software , no mouse or keyboard working because of USB not working. Sorry for my crooked English not my irst language.

My computer is Dell 5150 with 3Ghz ,3gb ram and 160 Gb and 500 Gb storages

Last edited:

deanj20

How about in Safe Mode? Reboot the computer and press F8 repeatedly until you get a black and white menu with a list of options and choose "Safe Mode" and see if the mouse works there. If so, you may need to go to Start-->Control Panel-->System-->Hardware tab-->Device Manager and look for any red 'X's or yeallow triangles with '!' on them. If you have any, right click those devices and select 'Uninstall.' Then reboot the computer. If it finds any "New Hardware" just ignore it for now, then post back here with the make and model of your computer and we will tell you where to download the appropriate drivers.

:D

lulumara

I cannot even move the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard because it is connected to USB no movment at all. I reboot it but when I press keyboard once in while it works but totally can`t press anything.

lulumara

I did reboot and press F8 wireless keyboard works only at start and safe mode it , mouse and keyboard were all not working?? Any more ideas or suggestions.

deanj20

Hold down the power button until the machine turns off. Then turn it back on, and start pressing F8 repeatedly to enter Safe Mode and see if your mouse and keyboard work there.

deanj20

So were you able to enter safe mode? Or not? Do you mean that the keyboard isn't even working when the computer turns on, or just when Windows loads? Are you able to enter BIOS?

What is the make and model of your computer? Is it a laptop? Does it have PS/2 connections on the back that you could try?

lulumara

So were you able to enter safe mode? Or not? Do you mean that the keyboard isn't even working when the computer turns on, or just when Windows loads? Are you able to enter BIOS?

What is the make and model of your computer? Is it a laptop? Does it have PS/2 connections on the back that you could try?

I enter safe mode but mouse and keyboard doesn't work only when windows load after that it dies means no movement of the mouse and keyboard. I can press F2 setup but after window reboot nada.

deanj20

I'm sure that there are other options, but it might be easiest just to do a complete format of the drive and reinstall Windows. Do you have a valid Windows Installation CD?

deanj20

Well, you could try to do a System Repair using your Windows XP CD. But it would be just as easy if you did a fresh install. Post here before you install any drivers with your make and model and we can ensure that you get the correct ones.

You said that your mouse and keyboard were working until you installed the wrong Wireless driver, right? I think that this would be the best solution.

lulumara

deanj20, thanks for suggestions and I did a re-installed of my OS window XP and also the driver it works fine now a big thanks again, you really ROCK the WORLD!!!

deanj20

LOL. Well, I didn't really do anything - but thanks - I'm glad it worked out for you. :p :good:

That's the best fix for some problems. You could spend days trying to find a solution for a problem and have no success, or just back up what data you can't replace, format the drive and reinstall the OS in about 1-1.5 hrs.

I'm happy that you're happy. :D