Almost done with gaming pc, need review

csnsc14320

New Member
Will be for gaming (mostly steam games/SC2 for now) and will be used for school and other stuff.

I have a HDD monitor keyboard and mouse.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275
MOBO/Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.416663
GPU/PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.408243
CPU/Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.416304

I might switch to this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190 to save a little since it seems the same.

With windows 7, the price with tax/shipping should come out to ~$773.

I'd like to keep it under $800, but can up budget if necessary.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the mobo/cpu compatibility, but it should work I think, unless people have suggestions for a different mobo?

EDIT: Fixed CPU/Case link.
 
Last edited:
I don't like that psu dude. its pretty much corsair or nothing. I would get the 5770+ tx650w combo (I know there is one). you could also get the hx650w which is modular
 
Corsair != best. common misconception. they don't even produce their own power supplies, only relabel them. CWT and some other companies actually make the power supplies.
 
I don't like that psu dude. its pretty much corsair or nothing. I would get the 5770+ tx650w combo (I know there is one). you could also get the hx650w which is modular

Corsair != best. common misconception. they don't even produce their own power supplies, only relabel them. CWT and some other companies actually make the power supplies.

Several Antec power cupplies are better than Corsair ones. Neither company make their own power supplies, that doesn't make them bad though, just means the companies that produce them (Seasonic, CWT, Seventeam, AcBell, Topower etc) make good pwower supplies.

corsair and Antec aren't the only culprits though, the majority of the "big" manufacturers don't actually make their own power supplies: Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, Antec, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake etc
 
I don't know anything about who actually makes them but they both do a good job of choosing the quality ones to sell..lol
 
Most of Corsairs are made by Channel Well and Seasonic. They are good supplies, but there are other brands just as good or better. Anybody that says Corsairs or nothing is just a fanboy. Seasonic and Channel Well makes other brands as well, both even make some Antec units too. The Earthwatts used to be made by Delta.
 
Last edited:
Most of Corsairs are made by Channel Well and Seasonic. They are good supplies, but there are other brands just as good or better. Anybody that says Corsairs or nothing is just a fanboy. Seasonic and Channel Well makes other brands as well, both even make some Antec units too. The Earthwatts used to be made by Delta.

+1

Even though I have a Corsair PSU, I would so happily have an Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, PCPC, BFG, CoolerMaster etc
 
OK, I fixed the PSU/Case link.

Also, is this a better power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.408196

after rebate its the same price, but if the Antec is solid I don't want to wait months for a $20 gift card to come in the mail

I'd go with the new one you posted because it is only $5 more expensive after MIR, but extra 100W

however, if you look at the Antec, it has higher combned amps on the 12V rails. I'd still get the Corsair though because it has a single dedicated 12V rail, less chance of overloading it (Not that yyou would overload a 22A rail).

And jarl, you really just said that a vigor orion is a great PSU? I thought you mentioned in another thread that "you knew more about computers than anyone here could ever hope to" and yet you go and say that...
 
Will be for gaming (mostly steam games/SC2 for now) and will be used for school and other stuff.

I have a HDD monitor keyboard and mouse.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275
MOBO/Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.416663
GPU/PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.408243
CPU/Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.416304

I might switch to this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190 to save a little since it seems the same.

With windows 7, the price with tax/shipping should come out to ~$773.

I'd like to keep it under $800, but can up budget if necessary.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the mobo/cpu compatibility, but it should work I think, unless people have suggestions for a different mobo?

EDIT: Fixed CPU/Case link.

Well my friend you have answered my question, I am looking for a decent system for $800. please post the result when you finished build it. I would love to know.
Thank you.
 
Well my friend you have answered my question, I am looking for a decent system for $800. please post the result when you finished build it. I would love to know.
Thank you.

I ordered everything from my top post yesterday :)

I will post by next Monday/tuesday and let you know how it is since I cannot build till Friday (stupid finals)
 
I don't like that psu dude. its pretty much corsair or nothing. I would get the 5770+ tx650w combo (I know there is one). you could also get the hx650w which is modular

While corsair is the best IMO antec is still a good quality brand

Corsair != best. common misconception. they don't even produce their own power supplies, only relabel them. CWT and some other companies actually make the power supplies.

Several Antec power cupplies are better than Corsair ones. Neither company make their own power supplies, that doesn't make them bad though, just means the companies that produce them (Seasonic, CWT, Seventeam, AcBell, Topower etc) make good pwower supplies.

corsair and Antec aren't the only culprits though, the majority of the "big" manufacturers don't actually make their own power supplies: Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, Antec, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake etc

I don't know anything about who actually makes them but they both do a good job of choosing the quality ones to sell..lol


+1

Even though I have a Corsair PSU, I would so happily have an Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, PCPC, BFG, CoolerMaster etc

As (almost) everyone said earlier, the EA650 is a great unit. The earthwatts units from antec are very solid.

Most manufacturers such as corsair, pc power and cooling, XFX, and well, just about every manufacturer except Fortron Source, Topower, Seventeam, and Seasonic actually sell power supplies to the consumer market directly. Many of corsairs designs are based off of CWT reference designs, and Xclio uses CWT reference designs as well(which is why, when people try to argue that Xclio is junk because its "cheap", they are wrong). Some manufacturers will modify those reference designs to better suit their needs, but in the end between manufacturers your still talking the use of only a few different designs, after that its all marketing. The best units on the market are arguable the seasonic built units.

Also stranglehold, yeah, Delta has been making the earthwatts units. (The earthwatts have a nice selection of capacitors though, they use about six different manufacturers of caps, but all good branded ones).

There is no "best" brand, but the closest you would get to finding one would be pc power and cooling IMO. Otherwise, Corsair, Antec, BFG, OCZ, FSP, Coolermaster, Tagan, Pc Power and Cooling, Zalman, etc. All sell good units.


To the OP- Looks like you will have yourself a nice rig;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top