Almost only corrupt downloads after replacing motherboard and processor

Amanda

Hiya

My pc stopped working after the electricity went out a couple of weeks ago. After checking everything I figured that it'd probably be my motherboard, so I replaced it and with that also the processor. I also had to buy a new videocard because my old one was a AGP and my new motherboard is a PCI Express and I had to replace my power supply since that one was broken too.
I already had my pc for 2 years so upgrading wasn't such a bad thing to do, especially since I like MMO's.

I had everything installed without any problems but now everytime I want to download something or just update a program or game, I get corrupt downloads.
These are the messages I get :

error.jpg
and
error2.jpg

I also have the following errors and warnings in my event log :
Error
Event ID : 11
Source : Disk
Description : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\D

Warning
Event ID : 1003
Source : DHCP
Description : Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001731F3458F. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Warning
Event ID : 57
Source : ftdisk
Description : The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

At first I thought that maybe my harddrives where broken but even when I replace them with my external one I still have the same problem (that one wasn't connected at the time). I've doublechecked all the cables too and they seem fine. Also reinstalling windows with the full format doesn't help.
Turning off my firewall doesn't help either nor does disconnecting my cardreader.
I've done the full checkdisk, tried to use Powermaxx to check my maxtor hdd's in dos but it can't seem to find any hardware to begin with.
I've also done virusscans and adwarescans too.
It can't be the internetconnection either since the other 2 pc's have absolutly no problem and I have to download things on theirs if I need anything. I've also updated my software.

I've googled the Event ID's but I can't find anything that might work on mine.

These are the specs of my pc :

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name ADA (Amanda)
User Name Amanda

Motherboard
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 50385 MHz (12 x 4199)
Motherboard Name A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (04/28/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (256 MB)
Monitor BenQ FP767-12 [17" LCD] (1430342)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Silicon Image SiI 3132 SoftRaid 5 Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6 B200P0 USB Device (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y160M0 (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y160M0 (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 156319 MB (49655 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 156327 MB (7609 MB free)
J: (NTFS) 194474 MB (5082 MB free)
Total Size 495.2 GB (60.9 GB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech USB TrackMan Wheel

Network
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (192.168.1.100)

Peripherals
Printer Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

I have absolutely no idea of what else I can do so I hope that someone here can help me.

Regards Amanda

Last edited:

Amanda

Mostly yes but I've never had any problems with those.
I can barely update programs as windows and such. I still have a couple of critical updates and software ones I want to download. :S

Regards Amanda

Archangel

VIP Member
http://www.memtest86.com/

the image you can donwload has to be burned onto a CD, then put the CD in the drive and reboot your system.

its a program that scans the RAM.. i had a similair problem once, and it turned out that 2 of the 4 RAM modules were corrupt/wern't compartible with my motherboard

Amanda

I already found it but thanks for the link anyway. :)

I just ran the program a couple of times but it keeps on getting stuck, This is what the screen shows :

memtest86.jpg

It doesn't tell me much but is sure looks bad.
My old ram should be compatible with the new motherboard btw since it's the same as what they say the new one uses. I checked it while I was ordering the new parts. It could be damaged of course.

Archangel

VIP Member
that is bad indeed.. it looks either your ram is incompartible, or its corrupred :(

try upping the voltage in the Bios by 0.2v, that could help.. but if that doesnt help i dont know what you could do anymore :( except getting new RAM ( and i hate suggestion people to buy something because what they have doesnt work anymore )

Amanda

If the ram would be incompatible wouldn't the pc just not start up to begin with?
I have to admit that I don't know that much from pc's, just how to put them together and how to install them so I could be wrong.

It looks like my fiance's pc has the same as mine so I'll check if I still have the problem then.

I just put it in and I'll just keep it in untill he gets home from work to see if I still get errors.

Last edited:

Amanda

I put my fiance's ram back in when we went to bed and I still got the same errors during the night. Especially "Warning
Event ID : 57
Source : ftdisk
Description : The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur." came by a lot.
So it looks like it's not the RAM.
The downloads are also still corrupt, even when I switch RAM.
I haven't tried increasing the voltage yet because I've never felt very confident working in the BIOS. But it's the voltage going to the RAM that has to be increased right?

Archangel

VIP Member
hmm... dont do that yet then... because if its also giving those errors with other RAM.. could you run the RAM of your pc, in your fiance's pc?
and run memtest on that pc.. it could be that the memory controller isnt functionning correctly.. Ill have a look about what i can dig up about the Event ID:57 error

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's a RAM error not a compatability problem. RAM is keyed so only the right type will fit.

When you said the old power supply was broken was it a power surge that broke it?

Amanda

I think that it was a shortcircuit in the motherboard. While I was testing some things out (disconnecting and connecting and such) I suddenly smelled burning plastic which seemed to come from the powersupply, so I turned it off straight away and when I took it out I saw burn marks inside. Then I disconnected everything, put in a new power supply and with only the motherboard attached the new power supply also started to smell like burning plastic.

I have to add that I transported my pc from the Netherlands in the beginning of september so it might have something to do with my pc breaking down. I put it into 1 of my suitcases and made sure it couldn't shift and with my screen also in there, the suitcase was so heavy that I doubt that they've really been throwing with it but could still have damaged of course and maybe that the powersurge was the last drop.

Are there any bios settings that might help btw? I don't know anything about it and the only thing I set up there was the time and the bootorder.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Try using different RAM slots. Since the other RAM you put in didn't work the fault is probably at the motherboard.

Also from the event log you can view details which will send you to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp (this wont load by clicking it here) and sometimes get more detailed information on your error.

Amanda

The other RAM was working, it didn't change anything though and I've already switched them to the other slots too, so that doesn't help either. :(

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
OK I think I misunderstood when you said that the errors still occur. I assumed that meant all errors, RAM included.

Do you have an external drive?

Amanda

Yes I do and I've already put that one in and I've also downloaded files to there (while it was still in it's casing) but those are also corrupt.

This is the REPORT I made in Everest Home earlier. Maybe any of you can find something in here.

Thanks you all very much for all the reply's uptill now btw. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Well the event id 57 error means there was a problem writing to the transaction log. A lot of times this is from 'unsafe' removal of external drives.

Can you list everything that runs when your computer starts up. This would be anything on the startup tab in msconfig as well as anything in the startup folder in the start menu.