Always shut down the computer?

Sari95

Hi! I am wondering why one should shut down the computer entirely when going to sleep, rather than putting it on sleep mode and just wake it the next morning?

I am wondering about this, cause I have a 3 years old Sony Vaio, which takes 3 mins to start up, while it takes 30 secs from sleep to being usable... :p

Responses and opinions are highly appreciated :)

Regards, Sari

spirit

Staff member
I do it save power and I find that if I just leave the PC on for too long or use sleep, I tend to get more crashes and stuff.

Plus my PC is in my bedroom and it can be quite loud and it's covered in lights, so not great to sleep in the same room as it.

Punk

Staff member
Same here as Jason said.

The only time I've let it on all night was during a period of about two month because I listened to music to get to sleep. When I got up I shut it down for about ten minutes in order for it to cool down and get rid of RAM usage and then put it back on for the day until the next morning. Other than that, yeah power saving.

G25r8cer

I don't use power saver. I have everything besides my monitor to stay on forever. But, when I go to sleep, I put the pc to sleep. My desktop (mainly the psu) is kinda noisy. Not bad at all but, I need total silence in order to fall asleep. I also have 3 blue led fans too though. And I need darkness to fall asleep also.

AlienMenace

I put mine in sleep mode by pushing the button on the keyboard, then when I want it. I hit the space bar and comes back on where I left it.

jmtgb

this sounds crazy but it depends on the computer...

if you leave a pc on 24-7 it will get acustom to it... but will hate turning off and restarting making things slow when you start it up...

if you turn a computer off regulary then it will boot up fine...

if you want to make your pc boot faster i would disable some of the start up processes:

Go to the start bar, find 'run'...type 'msconfig'

then go to the 'startup' tab and disable 3rd party programs like 'spotify' that wouldnt otherwise be on the list

i reccomend leaving normal services...

i know this may be off topic but. hey ho

jmtgb

Hi! I am wondering why one should shut down the computer entirely when going to sleep, rather than putting it on sleep mode and just wake it the next morning?

I am wondering about this, cause I have a 3 years old Sony Vaio, which takes 3 mins to start up, while it takes 30 secs from sleep to being usable... :p

Responses and opinions are highly appreciated :)

Regards, Sari

if you want to save the environment then turning it off is good...
also it will stop any communications from your pc to the router...
which stops you from sleeping in radiation as thats how wireless works... unless its wired which is ok..

u sleep better with devices off... helps your mind relax

salvage-this

Sari95

Thank you all for your great responses! :D

Well, the computer, which is a Sony Vaio F-series laptop, is always in the livingroom and I am at least 10 meters away from it when I sleep.

Some of you are speaking of the fans spinning, wireless radiation... aren't all of those functions turned off when a computer is put to sleep? I mean, sleep mode is almost the same as complete shut down, but you simply begin where you left off. (it is at least in my opinion :p)

as AlienMenace said, I also prefer to simply continue from where I left off rather than entirely shutting down and then booting up the laptop :p

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Why would you use SLEEP lol?
For this purpose I always use HIBERNATE.Hibernation saves current status on the hard disk drives and then COMPLETELY shuts down the computer just like a SHUT DOWN.
And of course after that you CAN (at your choice) turn off the router and eveything else you may have and you also CAN (at your choice) even plug the computer's power wire from the power outlet IF YOU REALLY WANT TO lol.:D

Anyway I have 4 computers in the room in which I sleep and I never ever turn them off.But that's only because I do crazy programming and other staff xD.
Maybe here and there I restart one of them if something starts working wrong,but that's about it.

cracker2

I try to shut down my laptop when needed(no longer using it).Sometimes I accidently fall asleep with it on lol.Hibernation is ok but I don't care to use that or sleep,some laptops have trouble with one or the other.I just shut it down,unplug it,make sure the battery is out & hold the power button down for 3-5 secs after taking the battery out.Just my preference.If your at home I don't see why you can't wait what a few mins or less for the pc to bootup & login lol.

Desktops can run 24/7 just fine mostly if it is cooled well.Laptops on the other hand,not worth it.You got one fan usually with a single heatsink running to the cpu/gpu/bridge,not that efficient of a cooling system.If you run them 24/7 the solder joints wear down much faster over time,basicly ruining the motherboard.Thats why I try to keep mine shutdown when not in use.

G25r8cer

Some of you are speaking of the fans spinning, wireless radiation... aren't all of those functions turned off when a computer is put to sleep? I mean, sleep mode is almost the same as complete shut down, but you simply begin where you left off. (it is at least in my opinion :p)

It depends. You must set it up to turn the functions off when it's put into sleep. Go to "Power Options" in the control panel and click "Change plan settings" beside the plan you want. Then click "Change advanced settings". There you will be able to customize the power saver.

linkin

VIP Member
If I'm going to be away from my PC for more than an hour, I turn it off, unless I have something rendering/downloading/etc. Otherwise it goes off.

Sari95

Why would you use SLEEP lol?
For this purpose I always use HIBERNATE.Hibernation saves current status on the hard disk drives and then COMPLETELY shuts down the computer just like a SHUT DOWN.
And of course after that you CAN (at your choice) turn off the router and eveything else you may have and you also CAN (at your choice) even plug the computer's power wire from the power outlet IF YOU REALLY WANT TO lol.:D

Anyway I have 4 computers in the room in which I sleep and I never ever turn them off.But that's only because I do crazy programming and other staff xD.
Maybe here and there I restart one of them if something starts working wrong,but that's about it.

I try to shut down my laptop when needed(no longer using it).Sometimes I accidently fall asleep with it on lol.Hibernation is ok but I don't care to use that or sleep,some laptops have trouble with one or the other.I just shut it down,unplug it,make sure the battery is out & hold the power button down for 3-5 secs after taking the battery out.Just my preference.If your at home I don't see why you can't wait what a few mins or less for the pc to bootup & login lol.

Desktops can run 24/7 just fine mostly if it is cooled well.Laptops on the other hand,not worth it.You got one fan usually with a single heatsink running to the cpu/gpu/bridge,not that efficient of a cooling system.If you run them 24/7 the solder joints wear down much faster over time,basicly ruining the motherboard.Thats why I try to keep mine shutdown when not in use.

I see your point. I think I will keep on shutting down the computer, since the few minutes I save are not worth wearing down the computer faster than necessary.

Thank you all for your responses :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same as Jason here,Unless its rendering a vid,Or downloading it goes off.

Aastii

VIP Member
this sounds crazy but it depends on the computer...

if you leave a pc on 24-7 it will get acustom to it... but will hate turning off and restarting making things slow when you start it up...

if you turn a computer off regulary then it will boot up fine...

if you want to make your pc boot faster i would disable some of the start up processes:

Go to the start bar, find 'run'...type 'msconfig'

then go to the 'startup' tab and disable 3rd party programs like 'spotify' that wouldnt otherwise be on the list

i reccomend leaving normal services...

i know this may be off topic but. hey ho

Part one - wrong

Part two - valid and good advice. You can cut that 3 minutes down to less than two easily by sorting out your startup services and streamlining your system.

if you want to save the environment then turning it off is good...
also it will stop any communications from your pc to the router...
which stops you from sleeping in radiation as thats how wireless works... unless its wired which is ok..

u sleep better with devices off... helps your mind relax

Firstly, Unless you turn your router off, it is still broadcasting.

Secondly, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, someone else will have their router still on or you will have a mobile network mast nearby, the latter of which will throw out far more radiation than a home router ever will

Thirdly, your wireless devices use radio waves, which because they have such low energy are harmless to us

Fourthly, the background radiation and radiation from other sources is far more than what comes from your wireless devices.

In conclusion, stop being so paranoid, you are worrying about nothing, spreading misinformation and scaremongering

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
In conclusion, stop being so paranoid, you are worrying about nothing, spreading misinformation and scaremongering

I must say that I agree with you :D

Hell I sleep in a room with 4 computer on all the time and I am still alive :D
Plus I am 23 years old and people think I am 16 when they see me xD
Who knows...maybe radiation makes you younger xD xD xD (I am just kidding lol)...

Anyway HIBERNATION will do just fine for most of you.You do not need to shut down everything every single time if you hate waiting for OS and everything else to startup...
HIBERNATION will completely shut down the computer...STAND BY won't.

Last edited: