Am I just an idiot or ?

Codythecreator

Alright guys. First post, so I’ll make it a good one. So I’ve been stumped on this one issue for longer than I care to mention *cough* 6 months *cough* and I’ve posted my question on several, more application related forums, and haven’t gotten a straight answer, so maybe I can get something out of a more generic forum.

So I’ve been trying to get a computer set up to run a cnc mill I bought about 6-7 months ago, and in order to install the software, you have to create a bootable cd containing a linux distro of the software (not cnclinux). And from there you have to boot the CD to a compact flash card as your hard drive

Now that in itself has proved to be all but impossible. I’m not a computer wizard by any means, but I know how to configure ide drives and change boot priorities and order in bios. So through all my failed attempts at creating this CF, I managed to successfully make one using virtual box problem is, the plc for the mill communicates with the computer through a pci card. Yes the older style pci ports

I used a dell inspiron 620 to create the CF but as we know, the 620 doesn’t have the older pci slots. So I bought a pci-pcie adapter. And that seemed to work for a little bit, but then there began a communication issue between the plc and computer which caused the servo drive to fault, making the machine useless again. So I’ve tried using the card in other older computers (e-machinest6410 and a slapped together computer using an asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard. U can probably guess given the circumstances, how well that worked out

So my question is, since the CF was created on a computer running windows 10 (even tho I made it in virtual box using a DOS os), would that be a reason for it not working on the other 2 computers? Like an issue with 32vs64 bits or a chipset issue? And could the communication issue be caused by the pci-pcie adapter being a cheap Amazon component ? Another unseen issue ? If anyone can think of something I’m missing, id really appreciate it. Thanks

beers

Staff member
Is it just a serial port? You can use USB>RS232 and pass the adapter from the host to the container.