AM2, AM2+, and AM3

mihir

VIP Member
That would be awesome.
And also they would be doing something new.
And atleast they have intel beat there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Best diagram of Bulldozer/Zambezi I have seen.

bulldozer-die-diagram.jpg

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
From what I have heard, the next generation of Zambezi (what ever they decide to call it), they are going to rearrange the way the die is set up.

Now dont know if this it true. From the photo above of Zambezi.

1.Will be adding the L2 cache to the core like the L1 cache is, for faster access.
2.The upper and lower module will set on top of each other(without the L3 cache between them)
3.The L3 cache will down the middle between the modules.
4. The memory controller will be at the bottom of the die.

Plus I noticed Gigabyte pulled the Zambezi Support from the list.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
AMD screwed up bad buying ATI. They should have put that 4/5 billion in the CPU division. Then just signed a contract with ATI to developed a onboard video chip for the APU processor. Using that 4/5 billion on the Bulldozer/Piledriver, it would be what it was suppost to be and ATI would be getting a small cut on all the APU sold. Win and win for both.

Dangermouse64

Hi all new here, wheres the newbie part to introduce myself.........:)

Anyway after a long time away building and doing all I possibly could to my old 939 Athlon 4200 and gigabyte mobo I have finally bit the bullet and bought a new mobo, memory and chip...
I have gone for a FX4100 and Asus M5A78 mobo with Patriot memory, I have a 600w psu to move it along and an old GS7300 graphics card and an old Trust 7.1 soundcard all going into a new case when it gets here, now is this new chip a 4 core with 2 or 4 hidden and with the cpu unlocker whats the best I will get out of it.........please no techie ott answers as I am just getting back into modding my own PC after a long time off:D

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
now is this new chip a 4 core with 2 or 4 hidden and with the cpu unlocker whats the best I will get out of it.........please no techie ott answers as I am just getting back into modding my own PC after a long time off:D

God your post was hard to read. I had to re-read it a few times to figure out if you were even asking anything.

It's a quad core. According to AMD, you CANNOT unlock it. There are rumors floating around the internet that you could unlock it to a 6 or 8 core processor, but so far there is no real proof that you can do so.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like voyagerfan99 said. From what I know it is a 8 core. But AMD claims it can not be unlocked, but they did say that about the Phenom when it came out. With AMD scrapping for money I doubt they spent the extra money and time decoupling/cutting off these modules. I would think it is just a bios data that just deactivates modules by the model number. The thing is, probably the old bios code that unlocked the Phenom doesnt work with these.

Give motherboard manufactures time they will come out with one. But I have heard in time the X4 4000 series will just be two modules and wont be unlockable. But then you still have the X6 that will always be a X8 with a module deactivated.

Edit
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Stopped-Shipping-Phenom-II-and-Athlon-II-CPUs-238017.shtml

Another Edit.
AMD revised the amount of transistor count amount on Bulldozer. It really doesnt seem so bad now, expecially for a 8 core.
When from 2 billion to 1.2 billion. 800 million less then what was reported.

We are also working with Microsoft on a scheduler update for Windows 7 that will be available soon.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/29/hardocp_readers_ask_amd_bulldozer_questions/2

Windows 7 Zambezi/Bulldozer update Hotfix .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592546/

Last edited: