AM3 Mobo which one???

Status
Not open for further replies.

87dtna

Nope. Boot time was a couple seconds faster, and while gaming it used less % of the CPU playing the same game.

Well hell of course if all you use your PC for is email/internet and light gaming you won't notice any difference between and I7 975 and an E8400. Encoding, rendering, etc will all favor the I5 clock for clock.

lulz. boot time and cpu cycle usage during gaming isn't a true indication of relative performance.

Most of your boot times stem from HDD configurations and condition, as well as the number of services and programs that load on startup. This is purely decided by the speed of your boot device of choice.
CPU cycle load is just how much your processor is active during a given task. Again, the Phenom II matches Intel in gaming performance.

Last edited:

meticadpa

Nope. Boot time was a couple seconds faster, and while gaming it used less % of the CPU playing the same game.

Well hell of course if all you use your PC for is email/internet and light gaming you won't notice any difference between and I7 975 and an E8400. Encoding, rendering, etc will all favor the I5 clock for clock.

wat

Boot time is hard drive territory; your CPU is barely loaded at all while booting into Windows...

87dtna

Same hard drives peeps, same programs installed.

I truly notice how you guys both completely overlook the part where I said rendering and encoding with favor the I5 and only bring up the part about boot time. Nice. And with WinRAR file compression the I5 kills the the Phenom II.

From the research I've found, the I5 750 is roughly 20% faster at most tasks than a Phenom II 955. This is at stock clocks, which bare in mind is 3.2ghz for all 4 cores on the 955 and with turbo the I5 at 3.2 for cores 1+2 and 2.8ghz on cores 3+4.

Last edited:

meticadpa

Same hard drives peeps, same programs installed.

I truly notice how you guys both completely overlook the part where I said rendering and encoding with favor the I5 and only bring up the part about boot time. Nice. And with WinRAR file compression the I5 kills the the Phenom II.

We don't deny that the i5 pulls ahead in encoding, etc. But it's equal with the Phenom II in gaming.

And it's equal in boot times, stop talking nonsense.

El Gappo

Have a go with wprime 32 and 1024m m8. Use version 1.55 which you can grab from hwbot ;) Ive run it with my 965 on air and water I think will have a root through my screenshots once you've done yours but don't expect them to be low ;)
Running on that sempron atm but I have to bench prime on a quad within the next 2 weeks anyway for a competition.

87dtna

Have a go with wprime 32 and 1024m m8. Use version 1.55 which you can grab from hwbot ;) Ive run it with my 965 on air and water I think will have a root through my screenshots once you've done yours but don't expect them to be low ;)
Running on that sempron atm but I have to bench prime on a quad within the next 2 weeks anyway for a competition.

Running it now. Dig out your SS and post them. This doesn't seem to be an intensive multithreaded benchmark too much, it only uses ~25% on the CPU pretty much. Now wonder AMD does good with this benchmark ;) Y-cruncher uses all cores at 90-100%. Just like I said before, you won't notice any difference in an I7 975 and an E8400 just using your PC for light tasks. Therefore you need benchmarks that push the envelope for true testing. I can tell already that clock for clock in this test they will probably be about the same. Lets do Y-cruncher next huh?

Edit- Running the 1024m right now-

taskmanager.jpg

Last edited:

El Gappo

You have to click in the settings thing and change it to 4 cores ;) Right now you are using 1 core at 100% hence 25% overall lol.

87dtna

You post up yours first because if I post mine first you are just gonna post something thats better whether it's yours or not. I don't trust you, so you first.

El Gappo

1024m on air at what would of been my 24/7 overclock
signature.img

And 32m with a little bump
signature.img

Not got any 5ghz one as yet but I think you can tell the gap isn't exactly mahusive between intel and amd in the most widely recognized multithreaded benchmark.

87dtna

You lose. 30 seconds slower with 200 more MHZ. Now let me run 4.2ghz and 4.3 and put you to shame.

wprime4ghz.jpg

El Gappo

Lol you don't trust me eh! No need to be childish I knew the i7 was going to be faster before you even posted but do you not think and extra 800mhz cant narrow down that 5 millisecond gap? Even tho I was running with no northbridge and stock ram the first time around?
I think the 4 vs 5ghz remark you have made is completely null now. Time for a 3d rendering test? I think you know who will come out on top there :p

87dtna

LOL, wow. First you challenge me saying with Wprime that they will be the same clock for clock, then it's back to 4 vs 5ghz because you lost HUGE.

Lets see your 5ghz 1024m on your Phenom II.

Here's 4.2ghz-

wprime42ghz.jpg

Looking at the margin of difference in 200 mhz, I'm feeling confident about 5ghz vs 4ghz at this point. 5ghz may slightly edge out an I5 750 at 4ghz, but 4.2ghz is probably about right.

El Gappo

Wprime doesn't react well to a high nb clock on the phenom II. Put your's to 2ghz like mine and see where it stands, I'm curious.

BTW I said it would be on a par, it isnt a huge gap and I didn't get beat "huge" its kinda obvious thus far a 4ghz 750 would not be a match for a 5ghz phenom.
signature.img
Not my score fyi, I would of benched it completely differently but as you know I dont have access to my rig atm.
Well, El gappo is the only one here with a Phenom II clocked that high. I would be happy to turn of HT on my I7-860, which will essentially make is an I5 750, and do whatever benchmarks he wants at 4ghz and he'll do them on his Phenom II at anything up to 5ghz and we''ll see. I would honestly like to find out for real, don't care if I'm wrong I really want to know. Based on the performance boost I saw going from my Phenom II quad to an I5 with the same ram I'm still willing to say I'm right.
And an I5 at 4ghz will probably still beat out a Phenom II at 5ghz in most if not all multi-threaded benches.

87dtna

Dude the 32m test proves nothing, the 1024 is the true test. Both at 4.2ghz the I5 is over 40 seconds faster, thats 15%. So just roughly here, 4ghz I5 should be equal to about 4.6ghz of the Phenom II.

My Bios doesn't have options to set QPI that low.

El Gappo

Well I think because of that variable we will not see any accurate results. Look on hwbot for more 5ghz 1024m results then, because as you know I cant run it atm. 32m proves just as much as 1024 the gap is just a bit smaller and requires less stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.