AM3 Processor in a AM2 slot?

kracka

Hello everyone,

Recently decided on reviving an acer I dug up from the basement.

The motherboard is a American Mega trends Veriton M420 with the R02-A2 bios.

It has a AMD Athon Dual core 4850b on the AM2 socket.

Any possibility that a AM3 phenom II quad-core would work on this board? (I'm able to get one insanely cheap)

Thanks,

-Dan

jonnyp11

nope, just flat no, no adapters, no trick, litterally impossible without finding a way of re-chipping everything nd a new socket and slots and changng where the wiring in the plastic go, if that's even possible, so simply nope.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hello everyone,

Recently decided on reviving an acer I dug up from the basement.

The motherboard is a American Mega trends Veriton M420 with the R02-A2 bios.

It has a AMD Athon Dual core 4850b on the AM2 socket.

Any possibility that a AM3 phenom II quad-core would work on this board? (I'm able to get one insanely cheap)

Thanks,

-Dan

No, it looks like the last bios update for that board was the the Phenom I. It will run a Phenom I quad core
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/VeritonM420/VeritonM420sp2.shtml

nope, just flat no, no adapters, no trick, litterally impossible without finding a way of re-chipping everything nd a new socket and slots and changng where the wiring in the plastic go, if that's even possible, so simply nope.

Dont answer post on things that you dont have any idea what your talkng about.

AM3 procesor are backward compatible for AM2 and AM2+ sockets, if they have a bios update for AM3.

Its AM2 and AM2+ processors that will not fit AM3 sockets.

kracka

No, it looks like the last bios update for that board was the the Phenom I. It will run a Phenom I quad core
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/VeritonM420/VeritonM420sp2.shtml

Dont answer post on things that you dont have any idea what your talkng about.

AM3 procesor are backward compatible for AM2 and AM2+ sockets, if they have a bios update for AM3.

Its AM2 and AM2+ processors that will not fit AM3 sockets.

Thank you, I couldn't find a straight answer anywhere, very good to know.