AMD 3800 x2 O/C

oinkypig

ok i got a big typhoon and now have started to overclock my AMD Teledo 3800 x2. the highest setting i am able to get o/cing with this board is about 2.25-2.35 Ghz, while my goal is to reach 2.6-2.7. anything over 2.35 my pc will freeze up and i have to restart. or if i o/c too much i get the blue screen upon loadup, or when i logon to xp my core speed reverts back to 1.8Ghz for some odd reason. i am trying to equal everything out right, because as the o/c the cpu everything is o/c also.

1. ive lowered ram from 133 to 100 Mhz
2. ive lowered htt from 5x(1000) to 4x(800)
3. highest core voltage option is 1.4V which sux
4. FSB = 225
5. CPU multiplier at 10x

now to reach my goal what should i do? lower cpu multi, raise cpu speed?
right now the settings are:
ht link= 898 Mhz, Fsb =224.6, core speed = 2246.1, Memory 112.54Mhz

thealmightyone

That looks like it SHOULD work. Hmm...

Ok, firstly, how does your computer freeze?

a) Randomly
b) At exactly the same point at start-up (or go into a continous loop of restarting)
c) When running CPU-intensive tasks.

Currently, the only suggestion I have is to give your chipset voltage and core voltage a little bump.

It is possible the freezing is down to the motherboard itself not being able to handle the overclock.

EDIT: Have you got the latest BIOS for your mobo model? I ask this as you said, when you oc too high, the BIOS resets itself. Also, how LONG have you had that mobo for; the battery could be dying.

Last edited:

oinkypig

usually it freezes at a gerneral time of about 10-20 minutes of being on the pc. this is a new mobo i received from the RMA department of ASUS. my old mobo died on me, with a bunch of errors related to the mobo. they could not find the problem so they sent me a new one. that was about 3 1/2 months ago. like i said the voltage only goes up to 1.4V. If i upgraded to the a8r32-mvp would i have to reinstall, or reformat windows? i dont quite remember.

thealmightyone

Have you overapplied/underapplied the thermal paste? Also, install speedfan (a temperature monitoring program). Then, apply the overclock that freezes your computer, boot up, and track the CPU temp (usually temp1). Then, report back.

You may have to reinstall (reformat just wipes entire hard drive, and is part of installation process) Windows when replacing the mobo. Luckily, you have a external hard drive to save everything you want to keep.

oinkypig

i may have overapplied the themal paste considering i placed the whole paste packet that came w/ the big typhoon on the cpu. ill take some off. and i ran a stability test and the highest it went was about 48 C. i also got the cpu to run at 2.45Ghz while running this test

Image3.jpg

Last edited:

thealmightyone

YOU USED THE WHOLE PACKET?! You're only meant to apply a small, pea-sized amount, on centre of CPU (heatsink flattens it out). Clean-up the whole mess, then re-apply.

Also, what was the stability test? No stability test will pass an Athlon at 4.5GHz. If you meant 2.5GHz, it still wouldnt pass, if the CPU is to blame for the freezing.

Use this program to test stability. Run the 30 min test. If you pass, you're good to stay at that speed.

Last edited:

oinkypig

problem is i cant go over 2.5 Ghz cuz when i apply an fsb, which raises the cpu over 2.5Ghz, and i log onto windows instead of my fsg being 250+ the fsb is 150 instead. (it subtracts 1000Mhz of the fsb)

Archangel

VIP Member
keep in mind.. not all motherboards are good overclockers either..
i mean, with my old motherboard, they were impressed that such a cheap motherboard could reach 300MHz fsb.
lower all the dividers to the minimum, and also the processor multiplier,.. so everything is underclocked,.. except the motherboard.. and then set the fsb to 250, and try to boot it up. if the fsb is 150 again.. you can be certain of it that your motherboard doesnt want to go higher than that :)