AMD 64 Dual core....system question.

shadowx089

Hi, I have a AMD Dual-Core 64 4600+, I Just realized. Should my computer be a 64 bit system or a 32 bit system.? I just accured to me that I should be a 64 but my computer is only using one core so it is a 32 still. Am I wrong? Hmm, I think my motherboard should be able to sure both, lol, there site seems to have drivers for 64 bit......on my motherboard.

Anyone care to help?

Heres my full specs and stuff,
Motherboard – ABIT KN8
Graphics – Radeon HD 4870 512mb
Ram - 3GB
Screen Res – 1280 by 1024
Processor – AMD Dual-Core 64 4600+
Operating System – Windows XP Pro

funkysnair

VIP Member
your computer has a 64bit proccessor yes!

you can run 32bit operating system on a 64bit computer, and what do you mean "only using one core so it is a 32 still??"

doesnt matter how many cores your cpu has or is using for it to be 64bit!!

shadowx089

Hmm, well my computer says its a 32 bit. Shouldn't my computer say 64bit?
What the difference in downloads when it says,
Download one for Xp32
Download two for xp64

What i'm trying to figure out is I should be running at 64 bit.......now, how do I get it to be 64. Hmmm
P.S somehow my computer lagged and I made to entryes into the forum....sorry

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
Hmm, well my computer says its a 32 bit. Shouldn't my computer say 64bit?
What the difference in downloads when it says,
Download one for Xp32
Download two for xp64

P.S somehow my computer lagged and I made to entryes into the forum....sorry

your computer has the abiltiy to run windows xp 64bit or vista 64bit but chances are you have 32bit installed!

you need to download and install the correct file to your operating system (windows xp32bit)

Swapnil

32 Bit processor doesn't provide floating point where as 64 Bit computer provide a floating point.
Your OS is saying that its 32 Bit!
Your computer can support both 64 Bit & 32 Bit.

shadowx089

OKay, i'm back.

One more question, Since I have a 64bit processor. Am I only useing 50% of it? Or am I still getting the full percent use out of it even with the Win32?

Should I change to win64?

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
One more question, Since I have a 64bit processor. Am I only useing 50% of it? Or am I still getting the full percent use out of it even with the Win32?

No, that's not how it's measured. There are some reasons why you would wanna install a 64-bits operating system... like if you want to install more than 4GB of ram (in real life more than 3GB)

Should I change to win64?

If you are not aware of the advantages and the differences of 64bits OS, I don't think you need to upgrade now. 32-bits vista OS is fine for average home user.

shadowx089

Okay, glad to know, here was thinking I was wasting half a core.

This was all brought on, because of fallout 3, I think I need a better processor than I have now. My computer can't seem to cope with fights without lagging up a bit.

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
no, your processor is more than enough for the game, and the PC is fine too. looks like you have a software problem.

shadowx089

Got any idea how would you know? Or fix it? I can't see how its a software problem, the game is pretty graphic and i'm playing it at a high resolution from what I know. Game sure seem to lag when things get going. Other people have said I need a better processor to handle it all.

I reformated my computer like a week ago so it should be all good.