AMD 64X2 Dual Core 5000+ or Intel Core 2 Duo E4400?? --and why.

jaes

:confused: The title question says it all. I don't know that much about computers. I am thinking of buying a Dell Inspiron 530 or 531 (the difference is in the CPU? ---and a few $). "People" say the Athion chip is as good as the Intel chip---Intel just spends more on advertising--- and that's why the Intel chip costs more. Please advise. ---Please keep any discussion simple and easy to understand--- Again, I know little about computers---and less about their components. Any help would be appreciated. Jaes.

Willis240

It's from dell, you cant overclock it.

The x2 5000+ is a faster cpu, i would buy that if i was you.
yeah. i would choose the x2 5000+. apparently AMD is better for gaming, and Intel is better for a basic workstation. i don't know which you're planning to use the computer for, but i hope this helps you make your decision.;)

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
yeah. i would choose the x2 5000+. apparently AMD is better for gaming, and Intel is better for a basic workstation. i don't know which you're planning to use the computer for, but i hope this helps you make your decision.;)

Your going to get flamed :rolleyes:

Best "bang for the buck" get the 5000+

daisymtc

ADM better for gamming:confused: I don't thnk so...
Anyway, if not OCing, both E4400 or AMD x2 5000+ don't have huge different. Just get which ever cheaper

jaes

Thanks to everyone.

I very much appreciate everyone's help ---With your input, I've decided to go with the AMD Dual Core 5000+. ---Again, thanks. ---Jaes.

zer0_c00l

I very much appreciate everyone's help ---With your input, I've decided to go with the AMD Dual Core 5000+. ---Again, thanks. ---Jaes.

The age old question...AMD OR Intel thats a hot topic around here ic.. really up to you man..Amd is Cheaper.but Inel has its good points also ive used both and if your a basic user like most people go with the cheaper Amd and get the best bang for your buck...i bought my 5600+ for 118.00 oem and very happy!

pslee

black edition 65nm 130 dollar x2 5000+ got up to 3.7ghz after overclocking. Who dares talking about OC capabilities of 5000+. it is even better than intel's oc.

Kornowski

VIP Member
AMD used to better for gaming, back when Intel would crank up the clock speeds to make their CPU's seem faster... Basically what AMD's doing at the moment to compete with Intel, as they are now the best for gaming.

maroon1

reliable

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=928&model2=882&chart=422

Unless I'm too sleepy to read this correctly (hey, it's happened before) I think we have a clear winner here :p

He is comparing E4400 to 5000+, not E4300 to 5000+

Toms CPU charts are not reliable and they contradict a lot with other reviews, anyway.

Just look at the average perfomance from xbitlabs
average.png

As you can see 5000+ is slightly faster than E4400 on average

black edition 65nm 130 dollar x2 5000+ got up to 3.7ghz after overclocking. Who dares talking about OC capabilities of 5000+. it is even better than intel's oc.

E4500 is now $130 at newegg and that is a better buy than 5000+

And no 5000+ doesn't have better OC capabilities
Please look at this
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-2766-view-Core-2-Duo-e4500-M0-stepping-overclocking.html

5000+ @ 3.3GHz performs only 2% faster than 6000+ at average (2% extra performance for 10% higher clock speed)
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/22/budget_overclocker/page9.html

Yes you might be able to overclock it to 3.7GHz but those brisbane chips don't scale well at clock speed above 3.0GHz so you will not gain a lot of performance even if you overclock it to 3.7GHz

I'm pretty sure that E4500 @ 3.0GHz would easily beat 5000+ @3.7GHz. However you can overclock E4500 much higher than 3.0GHz

Last edited:

taylormsj

The AMD 64 chips wont overclock as well as core 2 duo's , regardless of multipliers because they cant handle higfher clock speeds ocmpared to teh duo's, its old tech now.