AMD Ahtlon x2 5200+ vs. AMD Opteron 1218??

TheOrteganator

What's the difference between the AMD Athlon x2 5200+ and the Opteron 1218? I am looking into purchasing a 5200+, but I found a great deal on the Opteron 1218. It seems very similar to me (2.6 ghz, dual core). I am wondering if performance will be the same on both. I have been able to find out that the Opteron is a server CPU, but I am unsure what the performance difference is. I am building a primarily gaming computer, using socket AM2.

Thanks.

liquidshadow

As long as the socket fits, I'd get the Opteron. There isn't a performance difference, but the Opteron's usually get higher overclocks and are more stable under higher temps/voltages from my experience.

lovely?

i kinda agree, but theres a REASON that ones for desktops and ones for mainstream businesses... i would probably go for the 5200...

Mankz_91

Might be something to do with cache, but they are basically the same chip, built on the same architecture.

jimmymac

VIP Member
opterons are stress tested a lot harder than the athlons in order to give much better stability. Usually that will mean the opteron will overclock a lot better

hermeslyre

VIP Member
So whats the reason? :rolleyes:

People in a business environment usually opt for the "professional" chip.. Aka an opteron or xeon/itanium. I don't think your boss would like to know that the same chip in his computer is used in gamers round the world. So they're stress tested and renamned. May not be the main reason but it's certainly one of them.

goosy22

i would go for the opteron... as every one else has said, they are much more rigorous and stand up very well to overclocking... the 5200 does beat it by a mere 200 Mhz clock speed, but you will be able to beat that with no problems... just make sure you get a mobo that supports opterons...