AMD Athlon 3200 Running Way too hot

stupidd

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2

First I had put on the HSF that came with the CPU. It had a thermal pad already on. Motherboard Manager 5 said that the processor was running about 75-76 degrees C.

Then i put on this antec HSF i have with some antec brand thermal paste. Still, same result.

Then i put the original HSF back on with that same antec thermal paste and it still runs hot. Same temp 75-76.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Grimulus

buy your ass a huge fan. they are about 30 bucks. I love my volcano 12 by Thermal take. it really gets the air out of there.

Make sure your comp isn't above a vent or something like that and make sure the room isn't hotter than I am. *laughs*

I've heard of AMD's having a heating problem but personally I have never really had a problem other than when my fan quit on my old comp. :p

Make sure you have plenty of air flow in your case. Extra fans never hurt.

If you really want to cool, grab corsairs watercooling kit. you shouldn't have a problem then. :p

those are a few things to check for and that i would suggest. there are others and i imagine praetor will reply to this with some more stuff. i have a few more. :)

to be on the safe side you may want to check in your bios to make sure that your comp will alarm you when your starting to smoke. :p it would be bad to have that turned off and lose your CPU.

stupidd

but is it not strange that it's running that hot with 2 different HSF's on 3 different occasions. Not to mension both my side panels are off, and at one point i had a 64CFM fan blowing right on the CPU & HSF and there was no temperature change.

Also when i run a number crunching program like TSC the temperature doesnt go up, MAYBE 1 degree C. but thats it, even though i'm using 100% of my CPU processing power.

Grimulus

ahh i see. sometimes(keep in mind i said sometimes) the computer will stay cooler with the cases on depending on how many fans are in there and how fast they are moving air around. my computer i'm using now is like that but my other one i actually had a floor fan about 10" in diameter blowing into my case with the panel off. It was the only way. my rig now i tried just taking the side panel off and it seemed to hurt it.

hmmm....

I would definitely give AMD a call and see maybe if you have a defective CPU. Has it always done this or just recently?

What's the program? I'd like to see what mine runs at as well for a comparison.

stupidd

Thats a really good idea--putting a floor fan, i may look into that.

It's a brand new system, and i've got everyone hooked up besides my video card. Right now i'm using an old crappy PCI video card. My ATI Radeon X800 Pro should be here wed. or thurs.

It's Motherboard Manager 5. It came on a cd i got with a Maximum PC magazine. I'll see if i can find you a link a little later. All i'm gettin right now for a search is Motherboard Monitor, but i could have sworn it was Manager.

When i get home i'll see what i can do with the side panels. That just seems odd that it's running that hot. I'm really upset about all of this because it's a brand new system. I'll figure something out.

Nephilim

VIP Member
The amount of air being circulated in and out of your case can have a big impact on the overall teperatures of your components. A huge powerful HSF can't do much if the temps inside the case are high since all it has to work with is hot air.

The ideal setup is to have cool air being pulled in through the front of the case and the warm air being drawn out the back. That way there is a constant flow of fresh air through the case, front to back.

If you have space for extra fans it may help to add some but if you don't it may help to replace the existing fans with more powerful ones.

When I added a Thermaltake POLO 735 HSF to my system it did well but when I replaced the rear case fan that sits right behind the HSF with a more powerful one, the temps dropped quite a bit.

Grimulus

well yeah, I just assumed that was a given about case circulation.

Ideally it helps to get good quality fans and have the set up have good airflow. :)

TT(ThermalTake) has some blower kits that look like they would really pull the air out. there is also a blower made by someone that sits over a pci slot and pulls air from the back. I would think the front one would run better with a fan already in the back. well, i hope there is one back there. :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
there is also a blower made by someone that sits over a pci slot and pulls air from the back
Those PCI fans typically only pull 14-20 CFM so they wont be a massive help

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i noticed just making a minor point :p Yeah I have used CD bay coolers and eventually i got tired so i racked a 92mm tornado pointblank