AMD buying ATI?

PC eye

banned
AMD would insure even better ATI chipsets if they acquire it. Anything is possible. HP bought up Compaq to get a load of... :p Ashton bought out Digital Equipment Corporation. Companies buy out other companies every other day practically.

Yeah, I think we'd see some pretty solid GPU/CPU compatibility and chipsets going....and they'd probably 'accidentally' have some bugs with Intel boards, haha.

bigsaucybob

I dont think it will happen.

Usually companies buy other companies to eliminate competition, ATI is no threat to AMD.

I might see a partnership being formed, but not AMD buying ATI.

Arm_Pit

banned
Many MANY gamers are AMD Fanboys, Which would make MANY MANY Nvidia fanboys(who are likly to be AMD fanboys) go with ATI because AMD now owns it.

I have seen several polls like follows:
AMD & NVIDIA
AMD & ATI
INTEL & NVIDIA
INTEL & ATI

And Normaly INTEL & ATI and AMD & Nvidia are on higher by a lot. It would indirectly make more people choose AMD over intel, and they could provide many more "Combo" deals.

PC eye

banned
Gee? I'm already an ATI fan and AMD fan alike. A merger would work for me. :p And all this time I thought they aready had a partnership going. It might upset the apple cart a little for some however if there was a merger.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I use AMD processors and Nvidia video cards. AMD always sucked at chipset, so they will screw up ATI chips too, unless they leave ATI on its own to produce them.

bigsaucybob

Changing my opinion. I saw a confirmation that AMD is purchasing ATI for 5.4billion dollars. This should be interesting.

It would be even cooler if Intel bought Nvidia.

ChrisDVD

i'm a Nvidia fan......and dislike ATI. So if AMD buys ATI, they just lost a person. i will stick with INTEL! :D its great for multitasking.
You think that ATI will get better?
Has Compaq been better sine HP bought them?
Will the quality of Alienwear change cause Dell bought them?

Geoff

VIP Member
ChrisDVD said:
You think that ATI will get better?
ATI and nVidia both have their superior cards at times. Before ATI was in the lead with the x1800XT, now nVidia with the 7950GX2. And ATI is releasing their x1950XT pretty soon, and who knows how that will work.

MadModder

AMD is buying ATI, they also expect to make chips that combine the power of a CPU and a video card. That, or they took a 2.5 billon dollar loan from Morgan-Stanley to refill the toilet paper holders in the executive bathrooms.

AMD bets $5.4 billion on its future: The company today announced that it will acquire ATI to "fight against the monopoly" and to create application specific platforms in the commercial, mobile and consumer electronics segments. AMD also said that, within two years, the company wants to offer processors that integrate graphics functionality.

Early Monday, AMD confirmed acquisitions rumors that circulated over the past few weeks on the Internet: During a conference call, AMD and ATI unveiled their plans to merge the two firms into a new "processing powerhouse." According to AMD chief executive officer Hector Ruiz, ATI is the "best partner for innovation and choice" for AMD and will enable the company to create platforms and solutions its "customers have been asking for."

Last edited:

fade2green514

wow thats very weird considering nvidia has a long-time partnership with AMD making nforce chipsets for AMD cpu's and all. thats very interesting though, ill bet with ATI's video converting capacity AMD will be able to create the ultimate multi-threaded chip. not that i know a whole lot about the subject or anything though...
i still have a feeling i'll be going with whats better for the money and for what i'm going to be doing. brand names don't mean much to me. core 2 is better than athlon 64, so if i upgrade that's what i'll get. if i upgrade my video card (not that i need to) i'm going to wait for DX10 before doing so.

Last edited: