amd compared to intel

isaacual69

i have an athlon 64 3200+ vanice core @ 2.2GHz. i was wondering what intel cpu would give the same performance when it comes to games, and then when it comes to converting dvd files from say, vob to mp4. thanks alot

Master Mind

if you have extra moneys, and the price has also dropped a lot, the E6600 would be my vote, you will find this is the most highly recommended cpu when it comes to stuff like burning and gaming etc etc.....

Master Mind

hells3000

if you have extra moneys, and the price has also dropped a lot, the E6600 would be my vote, you will find this is the most highly recommended cpu when it comes to stuff like burning and gaming etc etc.....

Master Mind

Hes not asking for a better cpu to upgrade too.

Hes askin for a comparasion...

Dual_Corex2

banned
Im not even sure if a 3ghz P4 would be the same, might be a tad slower...

I had an OCed Athlon XP i ran at 1.9ghz and my old P4 i ran at 3.2ghz and they were fairly the same in performance. The P4 did not have HT though, which i dont think HT makes a huge impact if any.

Dual_Corex2

banned
dosent hyperthreading give 30 percent more to performance

Not with any P4 iv used. My school uses 2.4ghz/133mhz HT P4s in there computers, do Super Pi 1M in over 2mins. I have no idea what on earth could make them possibly that slow, but even for normal usage the computers are slow, non-networking, like with photoshop. In general they are slow as crap. My stock 2.6ghz/133 non-HT is at least 3 times faster then those....and basically same setup, they actually have an advantage using i believe dual channel DDR2 1gb while i only had 512mb DDR400.

I havent been able to toy with my brand new Northwood with HT yet, it wont power up.....my Antec PSU has to be "primed" to start, its like an old carb lol. I have to push the power button at least 6-7 times before the PSU powers up, but it for some reason doesnt work with my P4. So more troubleshooting....

But all HT does is pretend the CPU is dual core.....not much advantage to that, maybe perform a little better with multi-tasking but overall it wouldnt be that usefull i wouldnt think....

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Nah hyper threading doesnt help too much.. But it does make it a better multi tasker than an Athlon equivalent. And you actually might need more than 3.0ghz to match the 2.2 athlon.. ipc on the athlon is two instructions per clock, while a P4 is only one. Common sense would then imply that you'd need a 4.4ghz to match the athlon.. But you also have to take into account the pipelines, ILP, architecture, and that a amd clock cycle isnt the same as an intel. All things added up you might say a 3.4-3.6 might be a closer match. I dunno lol.:)

maroon1

A 2.0GHz Athlon is on par with 3.2GHz non-HT P4

However, a P4 with HT performs slightly better on multi-threaded applications or games.

dosent hyperthreading give 30 percent more to performance
This is the maximum, it depends on the application you are using. HT usually give about 5%-10% on multi-threaded applications

Last edited: