AMD, doesn't suck. Right?

smoothjk

Allways thought it was pretty strange the way the two companies CPU development went from the Athlon 64 all the way to the Phenom. By there budgets (which Intel completely destorys AMD) you would think that Intel would have beat AMD to the Onboard Memory Controller/ Hypertransport/Monolith Quad by a long shot. Especially the Memory Controller that AMD has had for years. Seems the small guy gets there first everytime, which never happens in any other hardware.

That's called "Intel resting on their laurels." :D

Either way, I don't think anyone realistically expects Deneb to overtake i7, but it is going to be a much more attractive option to Intel's Yorkfields. And obviously, it's going to be a lot better than Phenom 1. For the price, that's enough for me and most others. It's not like today's software really NEEDs absolutely bleeding edge. All of the apps and games I have run well with my x2 6000+, and the Deneb is probably going to fix what little slowness I feel. Why drop hundreds of dollars more?

Twist86

I gotta agree I picked up my Q6600 vs waiting for I7 for that exact reason.

3.2ghz Q6600 = I can play any game I want atm and enjoy it...later I can up to 3.4ghz or 3.6ghz and have a chip last me till at the very least end of 09.

darth yoda

i have used amd's all my life and they have caused me no trouble. i currently have a 6000+ windsor (bit like u on the first post) at 3ghz running everything fine. amd are cheaper than intel and intel are not any better let me tell u that.

Dystopia

pfft we can't let that happen...I mean the Deneb is coming out and then we can argue even more. :cool:

Yeah, but this friggin thread has its answer: no. How bout when the denebs(WTF ARE THEY??)you make a new thread; Deneb vs. i7:flame wars 1.0!

GSAV55

Wowwww, I just spent at least 30 minutes reading this thread, and theres been about 3 posts which really some up my thoughts exactly, and which I think accurately answer the question. Basically, AMD is a good budget choice, and intel is a good high end choice. I am very interestd to see what AMD has up their sleeve though. The first GPU released since the merger of AMD and ATI toppled the long standing GPU king, nvidia. Thats why I am going to get a 4870. When this happened, nvidia was forced to significantly drop all of their prices to compete.

Hopefully this is soon to come in the CPU market as well. As soon as AMD shells out some de-throning CPUs the market prices will drop, and the consumer will ultimately win in the end.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This is a weird thread. NO AMD doesnt suck. I could go on here for paragraphs about how wrong that is.

Its like the Mouse and Elephant. Most of the time when the Elephant sees a Mouse it screams like a girl and runs into the wilderness. But every now and then it smashes it. Believe me the Elephant before long will scream like a girl and run off again.

AMD had Intel beat clock for clock for 6 years with (1/10th the money). Intel finally releases the Core 2 and beats them. And now AMD sucks (get real) because they instantly didnt release a processor to beat it. Were was Intel in those (6) years AMD had them beat? History always repeats itself.

GSAV55

wow, I didn't realize that core 2 duo was only released about 2 years ago. I thought that they had been around much longer than that, and that AMD has been behind for quite some time, but clearly not. Look at how long it took ATI to bounce back? Nearly 10 years right? When do you think that AMDs bounce back will be?

Mattu

Yeah I can remember about 2 years ago when I first joined this forum everyone was so gung ho about building a AMD K8 based machine...

Now the tables have turned... I think there are a lot of traders here :p

GSAV55

I'm actually making a thread for that question right now, since its a pretty good question, and off topic of this thread, so if you're going to answer my question, wait till I post that.

scooter

banned
AMD had Intel beat clock for clock for 6 years with (1/10th the money). Intel finally releases the Core 2 and beats them. And now AMD sucks (get real) because they instantly didnt release a processor to beat it. Were was Intel in those (6) years AMD had them beat? History always repeats itself.

Good points!

When do you think that AMDs bounce back will be?

January 2009!

GSAV55

Yeah I can remember about 2 years ago when I first joined this forum everyone was so gung ho about building a AMD K8 based machine...

Now the tables have turned... I think there are a lot of traders here :p

Yeah, I joined about a year into Intel's "reign" lol, and thats when I really started getting serious about computers, so I was under the impression that Intel had been on top for a long long time, even though I ended up building with an AMD, but I was on a budget, and AMDs are good budget computers :D

Mattu

Yeah, I joined about a year into Intel's "reign" lol, and thats when I really started getting serious about computers, so I was under the impression that Intel had been on top for a long long time, even though I ended up building with an AMD, but I was on a budget, and AMDs are good budget computers :D

hehe I found the original thread with poll "Which CPU brand do you choose" and it looks like AMD wins: http://www.computerforum.com/4346-cpu-brand-do-you-choose.html

GSAV55

wowww, thats pretty crazy. especially all the mac lovers on that post, everyone hates them now. lol.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Look at how long it took ATI to bounce back? Nearly 10 years right?
Not really... ATi completely dominated NVIDIA during the GeForce FX era; GeForce FX (which was an EPIC FAIL on NVIDIA's part) came out in 2003 and ATi teabagged them until late 2004 which I believe was when GeForce 6 came out... that would be about, what, 4 years ago?