AMD gaming build, comment.

Aragor

I wanted to buy myself a new gaming computer, so I did my researches and came up with that build :

Processor : AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2ghz (Venice)
Motherboard : A8N-SLI Deluxe Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI
Graphic card : Asus EN 7900GT 256Mb
Harddrive : WD Raptor 10k rpm 74 gig
RAM : Kingston HyperX DDR400 2x1024Mb dual channel
Powersupply : Antec TruePower 2.0 550w
DVD burner : Pioneer DVR-111 DVD RW+/RW-
DVD reader : LiteOn DVD-ROM 16X

I'd like to know if you found there was somekind of weakness in that build and how to correct it.
Also, I'd like to know if Kingston's 2x1024Mb DDR400 is better, weaker or on par with OCZ's?
Last question : if my goal is to have a strong enough processor so I wont have to change it before a good while (2 years +), would the 3500+ be enough or would I have to upgrade to 3800+ etc?

Thanks in advance for your precious output!

LSR

I doubt the 3500+ will last you two years, but it depends what you want to do with it...
If you're into the latest FPS's, I don't think so..
The RAM is good though :D

What's your budget?

Aragor

I was aiming for something turning around 1500$ CAN. Atm that exact build costs me a little under that so maybe I could afford an upgrade or 2...

Decadence

uh, dont get a raptor drive. instead get two caviar's (prob 80GB each) and hook them up in RAID 0. It'll be just as fast if not faster, cheaper, and have more disk space.

Aragor

Can anyone confirm what Decadence just said? Because I just read his own thread where someone briefly explained it to him after he asked what RAID 0 was, so a second opinion would be required heh. No offense Decadence.

I'd still appreciate answers to my previous questions please :p

34erd

if my goal is to have a strong enough processor so I wont have to change it before a good while (2 years +), would the 3500+ be enough or would I have to upgrade to 3800+ etc?
If you can fit in an X2, your computer will last you alot longer.

Can anyone confirm what Decadence just said? Because I just read his own thread where someone briefly explained it to him after he asked what RAID 0 was, so a second opinion would be required heh. No offense Decadence.

I'd still appreciate answers to my previous questions please
Well he's right that raptors are generaly a waste, especialy in gaming, but a RAID configuration wont do much good for a gaming rig either. I would just stick with a single drive and save some money for other areas.

Decadence

i was just passing on the same info i got in my thread to you. it was explained pretty well in there and theres also a link to a site with more information.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
ditch the raptor, get a cheaper drive, then see if you can scramble enough money to get a x2 3800, it'll be better in the long run.

holyjunk

Also, does the am2 x2 3800 cost that much more then the regualar socket 939? If not then get the am2 x2.

holyjunk

liuliuboy said:
ditch the raptor, get a cheaper drive, then see if you can scramble enough money to get a x2 3800, it'll be better in the long run.
O sorry should have phased that a little better. I was saying what you were saying but also to get the am2 x2 if he can swing it.

Aragor

Rip_Uk said:
OCZ is better, do you mean OCZ Value?

I meant if OCZ' 2x1024 Mb Platinum Edition was better than Kingston's HyperX 2x1024Mb (DDR400 both)?

Apathetic said:
Might want a new processor and maybe a new hard drive? Those hitachi 500g drives are pretty sweet lol.

I dont really care about the capacity of my harddrive... I think I've never exceeded 80 gig on my previous computers in fact. Still, I've been told that Raptor's speed were pretty impressive compared to the other 7200 rpms when it comes to booting and loading games (such as WoW).

Concerning the processor, I'm thinking about moving to the 3700+ (San Diego) which has twice as much cache (1M) than the 3500+ (Venice). Those 3800 x2 seem interesting, but are they worth their price? Currently the best prices I've found so far are :
3500+ (Venice) : 143$
3700+ (San Diego) : 249$
3800+ x2 :382$
3800+ AM2 x2 : 389$
(all CAN$)

So more infos on comparing those processor would really help me out! thanks again for all the output!