Amd Help

JackMcHale

Thinking about building a pc with amd rather than the geforce stuff.

Im looking at the AMD Radeon HD 6570

Good for price. but is it going to run graphic-heavy games like crysis and battlefield?? modern warfare?? dirt?

or is it worth paying the extra $129 for the 6870?

or the AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB - HIS Fan Turbo - Core: 920MHz for $148 more?

what am i actually going to see in performance wise? while playing games like that? thankyou..

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The 6850 should suit you perfectly fine. It's a little bit cheaper than the 6870. But if you're looking for something demanding, be sure to go high. Don't go low and cheap and complain after you get it.

JackMcHale

right. and what power supply (in watts) should i be looking at to power that? i was looking at a basic 600 watt PS
But the 6850 will play those games on ultra settings? or at least high?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
right. and what power supply (in watts) should i be looking at to power that? i was looking at a basic 600 watt PS
But the 6850 will play those games on ultra settings? or at least high?

Without an issue. I could run Crysis on max with my 4870 and my Athlon X2 in my old rig.

And for a PSU I'd go 700W myself. I like being safe.

JackMcHale

the way it was explained to me was basically the higher the number the better the card can someone clarify how AMD GPUs work?

jonnyp11

basically that is true, although games are made for the current tech and drivers, since crysis is from 2007, sometimes newer cards won't do as well. and also with either of those 2 cards 700 is fine, but you only need like 600, and you need a quality 600w, not a cheapy one, look for corsair/antec/xfx/silverstone/seasonic/pc power and cooling.

JackMcHale

and besides there being a 40 dollar price difference.. is there much of a difference between the 6850 and 6870?? will they both play equal games?

jonnyp11

the screen has a certain number of pixels, they are the resolution (1920 pixels across, 1200 up and down), then the video card has to process all the info for each pixel, so if it is a lower res the fps will go up, and if higher the fps will drop. they will play equal games, just not equal settings, the 70 will go higher than the 50 obviously, check your other thread were i posted a link to a comparison of the 2 using a ton of game benches.

Splinter733

I'm running a single 6970 with a six core 3.2GHZ CPU and the performance really depended on the game. Fallout 3 suggests I play with high. I can go Ultra but I do notice the lag. Games like Red Faction are about 80 to 90 FPS on full detail. Even Mine craft really gets my temperature up but that's probably just the CPU.

So what I'm saying is that it all comes down to the games you want to play. Out of curiosity, what CPU are you running?