AMD Phenom 955 Heatsink

Daniel184

I'm in desperate need of a new heatsink for this processor. My idling temperature is around 40 degree C and full load temperature is around 75 degree C. Can anyone recommend a good heatsink for the AMD Phenom X4 955? I have read about the cooler master V8, but i'm not sure if it is compatible with this processor.

Sorry... please move this to the right section of this forum.

Last edited:

87dtna

The V8 is HUGE, very heavy, and a real pain to install especially if you already have your motherboard installed.

If you want something economical, and is a direct swap out for a stock cooler yet cools well, this is THE best bang for the buck cpu cooler hands down-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5125&cm_re=freezer_pro-_-35-185-125-_-Product

That cooler uses the stock style AM2/3 clamp brackets. It will take 5 minutes to swap to this cooler. A V8 will take 1/2 hour minimum, and thats if you know what you are doing so if you don't plan on an hour.

Oh, this cooler comes with thermal paste already on it, but the paste Linkin93 suggested is good stuff and highly recommended. Or the stuff you have will work fine too.

87dtna

^same with the freezer pro. The freezer pro is half the price of the V8, without sacrificing much if at all cooling plus as explained does not require removal of motherboard for install. If fact it's even easier than tha zalman to install because it comes with the AM2/3 clamps already on it.

Jamin43

banned
The V8 is HUGE, very heavy, and a real pain to install especially if you already have your motherboard installed.
too.

It's not too bad. I was concerned about that too - but the install is a piece of cake. You just need to get the heat sink installed before putting your MOBO in your case.

I've got an antec 300 and it was a tight squeeze to get my fingers in to the screw one of the Motherboard fasteners to the case - but doable - and plugging in the CPU power cable was a knuckle buster. I wonder if a full sized case would be easier to install.

How often do you remove your heatsink anyway. Unless / until the heatsink fan goes out on me - I'm happy with my V8 :good:

And yes it comes with a Universal backplate - that adjusts to AM3, 1366, 1156, 775, and AM2. You just push in the spring loaded screws and move them to the proper position where the screws line up with the holes in your MOBO. Your Phenom II 955 should fit fine :good:

linkin

VIP Member
that's why you get a case where you can take the other side panel off and access the back of the mobo, specifically the backplate for heatsinks ;)

Jamin43

banned
that's why you get a case where you can take the other side panel off and access the back of the mobo, specifically the backplate for heatsinks ;)

I went for cheap for my first PC build. What price range do you get the access for backplates and heatsinks like that?

I couldn't see myself paying more than 100 bucks and am kindof partial to Antec and Cooler Master cases.

87dtna

So the V8 is the best cooler in terms of performance?

yes, and it's on sale, so that makes it the best bang for buck too.

No the TRUE is the best air cooler, but very hard to find anymore. I have 2 of them :p

The V8 is not even close to the best bang for the buck cooler. Look at how many reviews the V8 has, and look at how many the Freezer pro has. V8 has 650, FP has a couple thousand reviews. You don't get thousands of reviews unless it's really good. And guess what, it's HALF the price of the V8 with 7/8 the cooling ability. Bang for the buck right there with MUCH MUCH MUCH easier installation.

87dtna

I went for cheap for my first PC build. What price range do you get the access for backplates and heatsinks like that?

I couldn't see myself paying more than 100 bucks and am kindof partial to Antec and Cooler Master cases.

An Antec 200 and 300 both have the opening in the back, but thats not gonna help you much anyway because they are designed for intel not AMD. The hole in the back was not in the correct area, so I had to remove the motherboard anyway. This is back when I owned my Phenom II setup.

I would stop listening to Linkin, he has never owned nor installed a V8 based on the comments he's made here.

Daniel184

The V8 is not even close to the best bang for the buck cooler. Look at how many reviews the V8 has, and look at how many the Freezer pro has. V8 has 650, FP has a couple thousand reviews. You don't get thousands of reviews unless it's really good. And guess what, it's HALF the price of the V8 with 7/8 the cooling ability. Bang for the buck right there with MUCH MUCH MUCH easier installation.

Well, the cooler is only $50 after rebate. It's kind of a good deal since the original price is $69.99. $50 is somewhat within the price range of most high end freezer pro coolers. Plus, reviews are overrated :D (i.e. Arctic Silver 5 vs. Tuniq TX-2). These two thermal compounds perform very well in terms of performance. In fact, I think the Tuniq TX-2 outperforms the AS5 even though it has less reviews. Here are the links:

http://www.tuniq.com.tw/images/product/TX-2/TX-2-2.jpg

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cpu_accessories/thermal_paste/tuniq/tx2/2.asp

How hard is it to install a V8? I have watched a youtube video of this guy who installed it in 5 min. Is it hard because the screws they give you are bad quality and can break really easily or something else?

87dtna

Whatever man waste your money. Seems your mind is already made up so just do it already and regret it later. Did you not see the freezer pro I linked too? It's $28 with free shipping.
And about the reviews, it's not what they are saying it's the amount of reviews it has. I'm saying, an item that performs poorly isn't going to sell very well. I honestly think the freezer pro is THE most sold HSF on newegg. And thats because it's THE best bang for the buck hands down. The V8 HSF in general is whats overrated. The only thing it has is the bling factor.

Sounded like your system was already built. You have to remove the mobo to install a V8. Yeah maybe 5 min to actually install it to the board thats already out of your case. Takes a good 1/2 hour for total install.

Last edited: