amd phenom II hex vs amd phenom II quad

xxmorpheus

Which one is better for gaming?

AMD phenom ii quad core 975 3.6 ghz

or

AMD phenom ii 1075t hex core 3.0 ghz

i have 1075 t right now, i dont think its a good option for gaming. With 2x 6950 2gb with shaders unlocked, seems like its creating a serious bottleneck with many games, since most donot support hex core setups... I am getting killed especially with crysis.

RAM is getting upgraded to 16gb g skill ripjaws x 1866

StrangleHold

Staff member
If the game isnt using more then 4 cores, then the X6 and X4 at the same clock speed would perform the same.

ktec

not speaking from experience, but I think either processor is more than enough.

I have a phenom II x2 555 BE, unlocked to a x4 b55 and even that should be enough, given you have a good card (which you have 2 of the best)

87dtna

If the game isnt using more then 4 cores, then the X6 and X4 at the same clock speed would perform the same.

^This...

You need to overclock your CPU....3ghz isn't really enough for a lot of games anymore, atleast with AMD cpu's.

Take your bus clock to 250 (default is 200), you CPU has a multiplier of 15 so thats 3.75ghz.

I would put Vcore right to 1.40v and see if it's stable (prime95). Watch your temps, you don't want over 60c under load. So if you are running the stock cooler, it's gonna be close. You might want to just stick with 240 bus clock and like 1.35v (if it's stable there) if you have a stock cooler.

2048Megabytes

What games are you planning on playing? My GTR2 Racing Simulation runs fine with a Phenom II 940 running at stock speeds. But this game was released 2006. (The graphics look great despite it being such an old game.)

Edit: My video card is an ASUS EAH4670/DI/1GD3.

Last edited:

Demilich

Which one is better for gaming?

AMD phenom ii quad core 975 3.6 ghz

or

AMD phenom ii 1075t hex core 3.0 ghz

i have 1075 t right now, i dont think its a good option for gaming. With 2x 6950 2gb with shaders unlocked, seems like its creating a serious bottleneck with many games, since most donot support hex core setups... I am getting killed especially with crysis.

RAM is getting upgraded to 16gb g skill ripjaws x 1866

I'm seeing this issue very often lately. Your processor is not the problem.

The problem is possibly your Crossfire setup. In many benchmarks, and tests alike, SLI and Crossfire have shown (in gaming) that there are very little benefits in x2 GPU setups; in fact, the opposite is sometimes true. Many times SLI and Crossfire configurations cause lower frame rates and bottlenecks, because many games do not benefit from SLI/ Crossfire, or the increased bandwidth and power usage of two cards cause issues. Take one of your 6950's out, and run your games. Post results.

Also, you do not need to overclock your processor. Overclocking is also one of those "maybe" things. As stated before, your processor is much more than enough to run anything, and you probably won't gain a noticeable difference. And as we all know from experience, clock speed is not everything. It's mostly about architecture.

Last edited:

salvage-this

the 1075t is just fine for gaming. I would recomend an overlock like 87dtna mentioned. Even the 3.5 that you have in your sig should be enough for most games. Be sure to take it slow to those speeds not just jump to them.

I am not too sure if this makes a difference but Crysis is only coded for 2 cores. So there might be more of a bottleneck in that game than there is in any other game coded for more than 2. How is your setup performing for other newer games?

87dtna

And as we all know from experience, clock speed is not everything. It's mostly about architecture.

Yup thats right, it sure is about architecture....and since Phenom II architecture is over 2 years old now.....he needs more clockspeed.

:rolleyes:

Spesh

Yup thats right, it sure is about architecture....and since Phenom II architecture is over 2 years old now.....he needs more clockspeed.

:rolleyes:

Yeh Phenom II is getting on a bit now. I had my 955BE for about a year. I then upgraded to Sandybridge on the day of release, as I was starting to feel that the AMD platform was holding the system back.

Framerates and in game smootheness increased massively after the upgrade.

2048Megabytes

It must be because I am playing older video games that I do not notice any bottlenecks with my Phenom II 940. I do notice that my processor heats up after a few hours and then lag develops while running the GTR2 racing simulation. I am thinking about getting a better cooler.

What popular games besides Crysis is the Phenom II architecture just not good enough for?

mihir

VIP Member
Stop creating new threads about the same problem.I have posted on 4 your threads.You create thread with the same problem but different conclusion which you thought of.I am sorry for this but this is the truth if you want real help stick to one thread so that the anyone who is trying to help you will be on one track and will also know your problem and all the required information. You won't get a satisfactory conclusion if you create many threads about the same problem.Stick to one thread and ask the mods to close all you other threads and post all the info needed by the members to help you out on one thread so it will be convinient for them to help you.I myself am a bit lost and confused by your problem since you have so many diffrent threads like one not enough power and the other on a trifire setup and one or two more regarding the same problem.

I am sorry if you felt that this post was rude but I am speaking for your benefit only because that way you will find a solution faster.

salvage-this

An older architecture with a higher clock speed will help raise the performance to compete with newer architectures.

salvage-this

True I will not reach the performance of a sandy bridge build with my current processor but I did get quite a boost from the 600MHz jump that I have with my CPU. Enough to bump the resolution and some other settings in BFBC2.

How much performance you gain would largely be determined by the application that you are using. I got almost no gains in some games and a large boost in others.

If nothing else. it's free performance. Why not OC? I can't find any reason that a 2 year old architecture would be so out of the loop that you can't run games on it. A buddy of mine is still running a Core 2 Quad at stock settings. He says that he has no reason to upgrade yet.

@87dtna lol that also sums it up quite nicely.

87dtna

Core 2 quads are indeed still capable CPU's. A Core 2 Quad is about in line with a Phenom II in terms of raw overall performance clock for clock, so that would make sense. Even core 2 quad has the edge over Phenom II quads actually, especially with the Q9x50's with 12mb cache....they easily beat Phenom II's clock for clock.

Again, not bashing AMD just saying with the older architecture you need increased clockspeed to make up the difference for the newer games. I do not know which games need that extra boost. I know Black ops is pretty CPU intensive, you almost must have a quad core at atleast ~3.6ghz for smooth game play. It takes atleast 4ghz with an I3 530 for smooth play, and actually it's a little laggy at first until it gets settled in. Core 2 duo is NOT enough CPU to play black ops smoothly. I also heard GTA 4 is pretty CPU intensive.

Last edited:

87dtna

Here's a 955 VS a Q9650-

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=49

I think the 955 only wins like 2-3 tests, but remember....the 955 is actually clocked 200mhz higher than the C2Q!!!

Phenom II is more in line with the Q8400 (4mb cache instead of 12mb like the Q9650) clock for clock.

Here's a Q8400 VS a 920 (and even still the 920 has a 140mhz clock advantage and they trade blows)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/81?vs=89

Most of the reason Phenom II can beat the lower end core 2 quads is because of memory bandwidth. AMD's internal memory controller is far superior to the socket 775 memory controller. So any test that implements ram in any way will be swayed toward AMD....even though raw CPU power the core 2 quad still has over the Phenom II.

Once Intel got their own internal memory controller with nehalem architecture, it was all way over. And now sandy bridge's dual channel even beats nehalem's triple channel bandwidth numbers. Extremely impressive indeed.

Last edited: