amd phenom II hex vs amd phenom II quad

Demilich

Well, you're wrong.

How's that :cool:

Well, no, I'm not wrong. However, I'm not completely correct. It is still possible that the OP's crossfire configuration is in some way hindering his performance. Did you even care to look at his RAM configuration? It's possible the OP is experiencing latency problems. Sure, he could boost his processor up some more. Why not? Well, because, we don't have the whole story. How's that? lolz

Oh, and your boost in the CPU speed is possibly wrong. In the way that you're stating how boosting the speed of the processor will make the Phenom "on-par". This theory can be utter non-sense. I believe this theory was disproved in the famous AMD Athlon vs. the Intel Pentium IV? (I may be off a generation) Where the much lower clocked AMD processors were outperforming the much higher clocked Intel processors.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
lol that doesn't make sense.

Oh, and your boost in the CPU speed is bs. In the way that you're stating how boosting the speed of the processor will make the Phenom "on-par". This theory can be utter non-sense. I believe this was disproved in the famous AMD Athlon vs. the Intel Pentium IV?

I'm baffled by your comment. So your saying increasing the clock speed doesnt improve performance. Using the Athlon XP/64 vs. Pentium 4, why do you think the pentium had to run such a high clock speed to keep up with a lower clocked Athlon. The Phenom is just in the same hole as the Pentium use to be. Roles reversed.

Demilich

I'm baffled by your comment. So your saying increasing the clock speed doesnt improve performance. Using the Athlon XP/64 vs. Pentium 4, why do you think the pentium had to run such a high clock speed to keep up with a lower clocked Athlon. The Phenom is just in the same hole as the Pentium use to be. Roles reversed.

I didn't say it doesn't increase performance lol don't twist my words. I stated that it most likely will not give a noticeable boost in performance if the OP were to overclock. Hell, the OP is already at a 3.5 GHz clock speed. I'm stating there's most likely more to the OP's story on why he's getting terrible frame rates.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I didn't say it doesn't increase performance lol don't twist my words. I stated that it most likely will not give a noticeable boost in performance if the OP were to overclock. Hell, the OP is already at a 3.5 GHz clock speed. I'm stating there's most likely more to the OP's story on why he's getting terrible frame rates.

I think post 9 was a general statement, not really directed at the thread itself and you took as meaning a cure for the poster. Clock speed never hurts.

Last edited:

Demilich

I think post 9 was a general statement, not really directed at the thread itself and you took as meaning a cure for the poster. Clock speed never hurts.

Yeah, I agree; extra clock speed never hurts. However, when 87dtna used the word need, his view seems to point in the direction that more clock speed will solve all of the OP's problems.

Yup thats right, it sure is about architecture....and since Phenom II architecture is over 2 years old now.....he needs more clockspeed.

That sounds like a "solve all" statement to me, to be honest. And well, again, I believe we do not have enough facts about what the OP is experiencing to say, "oh well, yeah, just overclock. That's your definite issue." That's misguiding, and misinforming. Even if 87dtna was attempting to be general, that wasn't a very effective way to assist someone who is having issues lol.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Point taken, since its already at 3.5. A couple hundred MHZ isnt going to make much difference one way or the other.

Demilich

Point taken, since its already at 3.5. A couple hundred MHZ isnt going to make much difference one way or the other.

3.5 GHz is a nice speed. However, if the OP is still have lagging/ frame rate issues, would you not agree that there may possibly be a RAM configuration issue? I know that RAM in an incorrect configuration (i.e. too much RAM) can cause too high of a latency.

Also the Crossfire configuration can also cause a high latency issue.

Just wondering if you think the OP should mess with either of these configurations?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The dude is all over the place. Seems he got his problem fixed in this thread post #9.
http://www.computerforum.com/194430-poor-performance-gaming-rig.html
Driver update. Other then Crysis.

The memory, not sure. It is overkill, but just running at 1333 its not putting much stress on the controller. Have no idea what timing hes at running four 4gb. sticks. But he could pop two sticks out and make sure they are at default timing and see if it changes anything.

87dtna

First of all it was never stated that he was running 3.5ghz in this thread. He asked what was better a 975 at 3.6 or a 1075t at 3.0.....which lead me to believe he was not an overclocker.
A Phenom II at 3.0ghz is definitely a large bottleneck with some newer games. At 3.5, not quite as bad. You really need closer to 3.8ghz to not bottleneck a 6970 (6950 unlocked), let alone Xfired.

Had I been privy to all the facts and information, I would have not stated things exactly the way I did.

Demilich- What are you talking about his ram configuration? He has 16gb of 1333 ram, whats the problem here? Reading your posts makes blood shoot out of my nose.

87dtna

CPUz, memory tab.

If you have all 4 slots populated, there's nothing that can be wrong really. Jedec standard for 1333 is 9-9-9-24 timings, which is fine for everyday use and gaming. There is not bottleneck there.

Demilich

Alright, then it's agreed that the RAM is not the issue.

How about your GPU's, Mr. xxmorpheus? Have you disabled crossfire?

salvage-this

Not really. 1 6950 should give you decent frame rates in Crysis.

Just a shot in the dark here but are you forcing any high AA/AF levels through CCC? That would hurt your performance a lot if you are.

87dtna

Try setting it to force off and see if it makes any difference. And check your graphics settings in the game then and see what you had them at.

salvage-this

you might want to try the 6970 with the stock bios. Just to make sure that it is not the modded bios that is causing the trouble. I doubt it is, but it would be worth a check.