AMD Phenom II VS. Intel Core i5

funkysnair

VIP Member
the intel hands down....

there arnt many phenom II's that can compete with the i5 or i7 range and the one you linked is in a little bit of a lower league!

why are you compairing 2 processors that are in different price brackets?

Twist86

Yeah sadly as much as I love AMD unless your not looking for high-end performance then Intel is better.

I personally hope the next batch of AMD chips slaughter Intels next batch though before I upgrade.

2048Megabytes

The Phenom II 955 processor is close to the Intel i5 in processing power. But it is only $10 less the Intel i5. The Intel i5 processor is a better deal presently.

bomberboysk

The Phenom II 955 processor is close to the Intel i5 in processing power. But it is only $10 less the Intel i5. The Intel i5 processor is a better deal presently.
I wouldnt say close...as the nehalem architecture has decently better performance clock for clock. Plus once you put overclocking into the mixture...i5 really becomes a great performer. The Phenom II's are more comparable to the core 2 quads.

2048Megabytes

I wouldnt say close...as the Nehalem architecture has decently better performance clock for clock. Plus once you put overclocking into the mixture . . . i5 really becomes a great performer. The Phenom IIs are more comparable to the Core 2 Quads.

So in percent what is your opinion as to how much more processing power the Intel i5 has over the Phenom II 955 processor?

Also, do you think the Phenom II 720 is about equal with the Phenom 9650 processor?

Fatback

VIP Member
So in percent what is your opinion as to how much more processing power the Intel i5 has over the Phenom II 955 processor?

Also, do you think the Phenom II 720 is about equal with the Phenom 9650 processor?

I would say the i5 is 25% better then the 955.

The 720 is no where near the 9650 the 720 is probably a good 40% better.

That is just a guess I don't know a huge amount about the i5 so it is hard for me to put an number on it.

2048Megabytes

Isn't the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor faster than the INTEL Core i5-750 Lynnfield without overclocking?

No the Intel i5 Quad-Core has more processing power Phenom II 955 Quad-Core processor. According to what was just stated above the Intel i5 has around 25 percent more processing power.

87dtna

The Phenom II beats core 2 quads in most benchmarks. How are you guys figuring this 25% better? Everything the I7 has better than the PII the I5 doesn't have. It doesn't have hyper threading, and it doesn't have triple channel memory, and it's still 45nm.

Atleast 95% of people will not need the power a Phenom II quad offers, it's overkill. The I5 is too new, they are still working out the bugs like with the SLI/xfire issues. Either go all out I7, or stick with AMD.

Last edited:

jonathanx54

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core has unclocked multiplier, but core i5 doens't, right?

Doesn't that mean that the AMD would be capable of running faster?

87dtna

Check out heavy multitasking benchmarks, the 750 falls short because of the said reasons of no hyperthreading and dual channel memory compared to the I7.

Seems like the Phenom II is outclassing the 750 just about everywhere in these results-

http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3639&p=3

And check out the gaming results, the 965be beats out even the I7's with the gtx275.

Last edited:

87dtna

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core has unclocked multiplier, but core i5 doens't, right?

Doesn't that mean that the AMD would be capable of running faster?

Not necessarily. It makes overclocking easier, not better. You will still hit a ceiling of overclock. Most Phenom II's can't get over the 4.0ghz hump on air cooling.

jonathanx54

It's hard to tell the difference for me.

The AMD has unlocked multiplier, and has 6mb cache; The Intel doesn't have unlocked multiplier, but has 8mb cache.

But the Intel has Turbo Boost Technology so I'm not sure which way to go because they both seem really competitive which each other.

87dtna

It's hard to tell the difference for me.

The AMD has unlocked multiplier, and has 6mb cache; The Intel doesn't have unlocked multiplier, but has 8mb cache.

But the Intel has Turbo Boost Technology so I'm not sure which way to go because they both seem really competitive which each other.

Don't forget Phenom II has 4X512kb of L2 cache allocated to each core VS 4x256kb of the intel's. This is typically why AMD's are better with gaming. So really the AMD's only have 1mb less overall cache. Turbo boost means nothing if you plan to overclock.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Don't forget Phenom II has 4X512kb of L2 cache allocated to each core VS 4x256kb of the intel's. This is typically why AMD's are better with gaming. So really the AMD's only have 1mb less overall cache. Turbo boost means nothing if you plan to overclock.

Plus AMD has twice as much L1 cache too.

jonathanx54

How do you know all that? lol. Do you have a link so I can read that stuff?

Btw if AMD Phenom II has 4x512kb of L2 cache and Intel has 4x256kb, then wouldn't the AMD have 1mb more? I'm just wondering because I don't know much about CACHE.