AMD Radeon R9 Nano

Braunne

Hi all,

I have been looking for a DDR3 motherboard that supports integrated video to drive the monitor(s), and has support for an AMD Radeon R9 Nano graphics card, but only for compute (no monitors connected to this card) as I'm doing my doctorate in CS. I also own a 650 watt PSU. What DDR3 boards exist with that kind of support knowing that I am a poor student!

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just get DDR4 at this point. You would still need to buy a cpu and motherboard anyway. And at this rate, its probable cheaper buying new, you can get 16gb of ddr4 for about 60 bucks.

You can get DDR4 motherboard and Intel cpu cheap.

Braunne

I would just get DDR4 at this point. You would still need to buy a cpu and motherboard anyway. And at this rate, its probable cheaper buying new, you can get 16gb of ddr4 for about 60 bucks.

You can get DDR4 motherboard and Intel cpu cheap.

More importantly, thank you for the motherboard suggestion. I'm glad I can finally use my R9 Nano along with integrated graphics :)

beers

Staff member
Are your workloads leveraging OpenCL or is there a specific piece of that architecture you're focusing on?

Are you able to disable Secure Boot and try again? That card would probably need CSM compatibility if it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS flashed onto it, some of the Hawaii cards were hit or miss on UEFI support from the factory, you might be able to find a UEFI image for it. There may also be a 'dual display' type of setting that would prevent the iGPU from being inactivated, which would boot the system.

Braunne

Are your workloads leveraging OpenCL or is there a specific piece of that architecture you're focusing on?

Are you able to disable Secure Boot and try again? That card would probably need CSM compatibility if it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS flashed onto it, some of the Hawaii cards were hit or miss on UEFI support from the factory, you might be able to find a UEFI image for it. There may also be a 'dual display' type of setting that would prevent the iGPU from being inactivated, which would boot the system.
The gigabyte motherboard (B560M DS3H) beeps 5 times and does NOT come on! I did "enable" the iGPU, but it beeps and never comes on!

Braunne

Enabling CSM, did change the 5 beeps to only one (great), but I still see nothing on the screen!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
5 beeps just means component failure, doesn't give exact piece of hardware. 1 beep means the system has posted correctly. My guess is there is something wrong with the video card if its not displaying video even passing the POST(power on self test)

Braunne

5 beeps just means component failure, doesn't give exact piece of hardware. 1 beep means the system has posted correctly. My guess is there is something wrong with the video card if its not displaying video even passing the POST(power on self test)
It works now! I think it was all about disabling secure boot. Thank you all so much for your much appreciated help. I mean it.