AMD Ryzen - groundbreaking?

I see that AMD will come out with these new CPUs but will they be better than an i5 or an i7 in terms of perfomance and actual use? I see they are packing a lot of cores and threads but.... are they actually relevant and useful for the average Joe?

Calin

My guess is that the top chip will perform betwen an 4c/8t 7700k and a 8c/16t 6900k. We don't have any official benchmarks so it's just speculation and leaked benchmarks.
The average Joe can easily get away with a Pentium.

mistersprinkles

I was running a 2600K/GTX980 all the way until June 2016. That chip served me for 5 years flawlessly at 4.7/4.8Ghz the whole time.

Laquer Head

I'm STILL using a 3rd and 4th gen (both i5) in backup and primary machines and they are more than capable.

Darren

Staff member
While it's all well and good that your old i5's work for you, that's not really the point of this thread...

Then again anything we say is just theorizing since none of us will know anything until it launches. I'm sure it'll be an upgrade for me either way and it'll invite some competition into the CPU game which is good for everybody (except Intel's inflated pricing).

mistersprinkles

I'm waiting for some barksmench myself.

I'm STILL using a 3rd and 4th gen (both i5) in backup and primary machines and they are more than capable.

My (only) desktop is a Devil's Canyon i7 machine. I bought it when skylake was already out because I already owned a Z97 board and DDR3 and I got the CPU for cheap.

CPUs just aren't an exciting segment of "the hobby" at this point. I remember when I bought my PII 300Mhz in 1997 I thought it was fast and then in 2000 I got an Athlon 1000Mhz that was so much faster. Then in 2004 I had a 3200Mhz Pentium 4. Things just aren't that exciting any more. Sure, there have been recent OMG moments like Pentium 4/Pentium D>> Core 2 and Core 2>> Nehalem but honestly it's just a dull place lately. Hopefully ZEN will fix this.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'm still using a Westmere chip and it's chugging along just fine. It's not like CPU development hasn't advanced a lot lately, just seems like everything else hardware wise, isn't keeping up with the development pace of the CPU so the bottleneck that was once on the CPU seems to be not as noticeable/significant.

JLuchinski

I'm still using a Westmere chip and it's chugging along just fine. It's not like CPU development hasn't advanced a lot lately, just seems like everything else hardware wise, isn't keeping up with the development pace of the CPU so the bottleneck that was once on the CPU seems to be not as noticeable/significant.
Exactly, until something like quantum computing makes a major breakthrough then I don't see anything major changing soon.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Just because the term quantum computing sounds pretty cool, doesn't mean it does everything better than what we have now. It's great only in certain applications.

mistersprinkles

I disagree. Other areas like storage and gpu are advancing quickly.