Which Processor Do You Choose

• AMD

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carlton

Do you use AMD or Intel processors? This question would apply more to those that spec out and put systems together instead of those that get whatever processor is in the box they get at Best Buy etc.

I just put two systems together, one for a friend and one for myself. Intentionally selected the Athalon x2 6400 processors (3.2 ghz / core). The price difference between this processor and an Intel core2duo at 3.2 ghz was close to double $138 vs $224 (Canadian dollars). The Intel is a bit faster in most benchmarks but not worth double IMO.

I run a dual boot Vista 64 bit and openSuSE 11.1 and also have two virtual machine set up on openSuSE. The virtual machines run very close to normal speeds.

dubesinhower

im actually going to use both. my desktop is intel, but the lappy i just bought is amd. ive used both, and both are awesome. i think its just whichever you can get a better deal on. cue video that shows that amd chips blow up without a heatsink.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love both Intel and AMD just as much.

I have my rig in sig which is intel as you can see and my sis has a AMD rig in her room (Sempron 2800+)

Quite suprisingly her AMD system is pretty fast running Xp,It loads up much quicker than my system and it seems more responsive.

In my next built,Il consider Phenom 2 depending upon prices.
At the time i built my rig,the first phenom was crap.

gamerman4

I wouldn't say that the performance difference is slight by any means. Here is the Athlon and a C2D of roughly the same clock speed.

Athlon X2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103228
$130

C2D E8500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
$180

$50 difference

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark

based on that chart, I'd say $50 is worth it.

Don't bother with the price, this chart is a couple months old.

For an even better reference:

here is an E7400, it is $15 cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

now I couldn't find benches for the E7400 but the E7200 is only a small drop in performance and yet....check out the benchmarks, this would prove that the E7400 would definitely beat the X2 6400.
Tom's Hardware - Benchmark

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I wouldn't say that the performance difference is slight by any means. Here is the Athlon and a C2D of roughly the same clock speed.

Athlon X2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103228
$130

C2D E8500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
$180

$50 difference

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/compare,838.html?prod[2184]=on&prod[2275]=on

based on that chart, I'd say $50 is worth it.

Don't bother with the price, this chart is a couple months old.

For an even better reference:

here is an E7400, it is $15 cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

now I couldn't find benches for the E7400 but the E7200 is only a small drop in performance and yet....check out the benchmarks, this would prove that the E7400 would definitely beat the X2 6400.
Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Sandra 2008 - Processor Multimedia

Come on! Your going to compare two newer 45nm. Intels to a older Windsor 90nm. AMD. Nothing but B/S.

If thats the case compare a Windsor X2 Athlon to a older Pentium 4.

gamerman4

Come on! Your going to compare two newer 45nm. Intels to a older Windsor 90nm. AMD. Nothing but B/S.

If thats the case compare a Windsor X2 Athlon to a older Pentium 4.

I was comparing price vs performance if you hadn't noticed. If older CPUs can't compete with newer CPUs then they have no need to be in the same price range. I merely used the AMD he chose in my comparisons. Also of note to Carlton, a CPus performance is not based on its clock speed. A C2D at 3.2Ghz is actually much faster than an X2 at 3.2 Ghz.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Do the same by price/performance with a Pentium 4 vs. a Athlon 64. It would turn out the other way around. Means about the same thing, nothing.

Compare a Phenom II 720 = 136.00 to a E7400 = 115.00 or even a E8400 = 165.00

Last edited:

Damian Stormbow

I currently own 5 rigs most of which I have built. Of those 5, 1 is an Intel core duo. The intel is unplugged, not in use and the others are running constantly. Today, I just purchased a new AMD Phenom II Quad Core and an ASUS MOBO for my newest creation. Viable? Absolutely!!!;)

gamerman4

Do the same by price/performance with a Pentium 4 vs. a Athlon 64. It would turn out the other way around. Means about the same thing, nothing.

Compare a Phenom II 720 = 136.00 to a E7400 = 115.00 or even a E8400 = 165.00

Well rather than arguing with me maybe you should have told Carlton that he had a better alternative than the 6400. I just pointed out that the 6400 was not necessarily the most efficient use of money. You make it seem like I'm bashing all AMD CPUs.

intel does suck, they ripp people off, AMD processors might not be as good but for proformance to price ratio they are the best, you can get a 70 dollar kuma proccessor from amd, and its better then a 150 dollar intel processor

TFT

VIP Member
They both suck cos every few months something bloody new comes out and makes mine ancient. It's money, money, money.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well rather than arguing with me maybe you should have told Carlton that he had a better alternative than the 6400. I just pointed out that the 6400 was not necessarily the most efficient use of money. You make it seem like I'm bashing all AMD CPUs.

That is true, the X2 6400 is not a wise choice. Overpriced, think they dont even make them (90nm.) anymore, drives the price up. A X2 7750 for 65.00 bucks would be a better choice then the X2 6400. In the 130 dollar bracket a Phenom II 710 or 720BE would be a better pick.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
They both suck cos every few months something bloody new comes out and makes mine ancient. It's money, money, money.

Yeah after a few months of owning my q6600,which was alerady outdated because theres 45nm eg q9450...and now I7 :D

But no real need for the latest and greatest when what we have no works just great.

Carlton

The Asus M3N78-VM board was picked because a) it will support the Phenom2 processors and b) pretty good board for the price. I'll most likely grab a Phenom2 in a year or so when the price comes down. They're not really that expensive now, it's just that I have a young family so a little balance is needed :)

salman

I'm still happy with my faithful E6300 OCed to a comfy 2.5- don't game a whole lot anymore though just occasionally, my 7600 surprisingly still does okay on just about everything on lowish settings- get a decent playable frame rate.

If i were to buy a new computer know I would probably go for one of the Phenom IIs.