AMD vs Intel

rts_conrad

This summer I'm planning on replacing some parts in my grandmum's computer but I'm not sure which company I should use. I do use her computer sometimes for gaming and I've heard that AMD is better for that, but she does a lot of multitasking and I heard Intel is better. So, which one?

Steelshivan

Intel is the way to go now for both gaming and multitasking. How much money were you looking to spend and what are the current components of the system?

rts_conrad

I don't have to worry about all the other parts. I have a choice between the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 or the Intel Pentium E2180.

Ambushed

It really depends on how much you are really wanting to spend, don't forget about you will have to buy a new motherboard etc etc.

pbdr

I don't have to worry about all the other parts. I have a choice between the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 or the Intel Pentium E2180.

Do you mean you are replacing the other parts, or that you are just replacing the CPU?

If you are only replacing the CPU, you will be limited by the existing motherboard. It will be for either an AMD or Intel CPU, and will have a specific socket type.

StrangleHold

Staff member

If your not replacing the motherboard you dont have a choice, you have to use one or the other. Plus I cant tell if you can use either one unless we know what Socket and chipset the motherboard has.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That takes intel doesn't it??

But she does a lot of multitasking + he does "some" gaming....

Define gaming....

but for multitasking, I'd go for a Quad. A Q9450 would last along time. If budget is an issue, Q6600 as it's faster than the Phenoms and the prices are very similar.

cohen

Define gaming....

but for multitasking, I'd go for a Quad. A Q9450 would last along time. If budget is an issue, Q6600 as it's faster than the Phenoms and the prices are very similar.

Get the OP to define gaming have a look at the first page for more information.

pbdr

The current motherboard in the computer is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

That.s an Intel 775 board, so unless that is being changed you would want to buy an Intel processor.

A lot of good suggestions, but I'd vote for the E8400. It's fast and efficient.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That.s an Intel 775 board, so unless that is being changed you would want to buy an Intel processor.

A lot of good suggestions, but I'd vote for the E8400. It's fast and efficient.
By gaming I mean C&C3: Kane's Wrath, CS: Source & some CoD4
yea it's fast but multitasking would probably be best with a Quad.

so i'd recommend Q9450 or if budget is concerned then a Q6600

Steelshivan

The way I see it with gaming concerning the E8400 and Q6600 is this:

Any game graphically intensive enough where you want all the system power you can get is going to be completely gpu-bound anyway concerning these two processors. Anything less demanding, like an older game...it doesn't matter anyway...again, all video card.

The big question is when an overclocked E8400 is going to be realistically needed over an overclocked Q6600 in gaming. Will that come before or after 3-4 cores of a quad-core start to be used regularly in gaming?

Now if you just want to play the benchmark game, then sure, take the E8400. Not my thing though.

Intel_man

VIP Member
^^ You're missing the whole point of his point of purchasing a new processor. It's mainly multitasking and some gaming.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Since your motherboard won't take an AMD CPU, it'll have to be an Intel.
How much are you willing to spend?